Andhra student shot in USNovember 16th, 2008 - 5:49 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Nov 16 (IANS) In yet another attack on Indian students in the United States, a student from Andhra Pradesh was shot by some unidentified people in Tennessee.Shashank Pulluru, who was admitted to a hospital, hails from Hanamkonda town in Warangal district of Andhra Pradesh.
He was studying MS at the Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro in Tennessee.
According to information received by the family, he was shot by some African Americans when he, along with two of his friends, returned to their apartment after the classes Saturday.
According to Shashank’s uncle P. Ashok, they received a phone call early Sunday from one of Shashank’s friends that he was injured when some Africans opened fire at him. The motive of the shooting is not known but the student is stated to be out of danger.
Shashank’s parents and other family members were crying inconsolably after receiving the call. “We have not received any further communication and we are anxiously waiting for some more information,” said Ashok.
The family urged the Andhra Pradesh government to inquire about his condition and ensure that he gets the necessary medical treatment.
Shashank had gone to the US last year to pursue MS. His father P. Sudhakar works as registrar in the cooperatives department while mother Arundhati is a teacher.
Earlier, another Indian student from Andhra Pradesh Soumya Reddy and her cousin were murdered in a university in the US.
Shashank’s family members were planning to leave for the US and local officials promised to arrange emergency visas for them.
The attack on the student came close on the heels of murder of a student, who hailed from Hyderabad, in the US.
Arpana Jinaga, 24, who was working as software engineer in EMC Corporation in Seattle, was found murdered in her apartment in Redmond, a suburb of Seattle, early this month.
She was the sixth student from Andhra Pradesh to be killed under mysterious circumstances in the US in less than a year. The series of killings has worried the families of the students.
T. Soumya Reddy, a post-graduate student, was killed by unidentified assailants in Chicago in September this year.
Soumya, 23, who was pursuing MS in electrical engineering at the Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville campus, was found dead in a car near a lake. Her cousin Vikram Reddy, 27, who was a software engineer in Chicago, was also found shot dead in the lake.
Srinivas, a PG medical student from Karimnagar, was found murdered in Pennsylvania in March.
A. Kirankumar and K. Chandrasekhar Reddy, both PhD students, were shot dead in their apartment at Louisiana University in December 2007.
- Andhra student shot in US is critical, but stable (Lead, changing dateline) - Nov 16, 2008
- Body of Indian techie killed in US brought home - Jan 20, 2009
- Software engineer from Andhra Pradesh shot dead in US - Jan 15, 2009
- Hyderabad student shot dead in US - Mar 23, 2010
- Another Telugu student murdered in US - Jun 13, 2010
- Another Andhra student murdered in US - Nov 04, 2008
- Andhra murder victim's body to arrive from US by weekend - Nov 06, 2008
- Yet another Andhra techie shot dead in US - Feb 04, 2009
- Andhra techie's family stunned by his killing in US - Feb 05, 2009
- Andhra student shot dead in US - Dec 26, 2010
- Indian student attacked in London - Feb 11, 2012
- Patnaik shocked at Odisha student's killing in US - Apr 21, 2012
- Indian student shot dead in US (Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- Indian MBA student was stabbed in neck,chest, abdomen - Feb 12, 2012
- Four Andhra students killed in US road accident - May 09, 2011