Andhra Pradesh man climbs tower, threatens suicideJuly 15th, 2008 - 11:24 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 15 (IANS) A man created a sensation Tuesday by climbing a tower and threatening to jump to death near Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy’s camp office here. Tension gripped the high-security Begumpet area for over three hours and the traffic went haywire as the man, identified as Madan Mohan Reddy, threatened to jump from a tower used for displaying hoardings.
Alleging that ruling Congress chief whip N. Kiran Kumar Reddy has encroached upon his land and was threatening him, Madan Mohan climbed on to the tower near the chief minister’s camp office.
The incident sent the police and the security agencies into a tizzy.
The three-hour drama ended Tuesday evening when the police officials coaxed Madan Mohan Reddy to get down by promising an appointment with the chief minister.
Madan Mohan Reddy, who hails from Chittoor district, alleged that ruling Congress party legislator and the party’s chief whip Kiran Kumar Reddy encroached on his 2.5 acre land.
He said he met the chief minister twice and requested him to restore his land but it was of no avail.
Madan Mohan threatened to commit suicide by jumping from the tower if his demands were not met.
Police officials appealed to him not to take the extreme step and assured to look into his problem.
The police later took Madan Mohan Reddy into custody and were questioning him.
The man had twice climbed on to the tower and a tree in the past to draw the attention of the authorities to his problem.
- Kiran Kumar to take over as Andhra chief minister Thursday - Nov 25, 2010
- Kiran Kumar Reddy, a former Ranji cricketer - Nov 25, 2010
- Kiran Kumar Reddy is 16th chief minister of Andhra Pradesh (Second Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Chinese threatens suicide over long working hours - Apr 28, 2011
- Kiran Kumar sworn in Andhra Pradesh chief minister (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Man jumps to death from Eiffel Tower - Jun 25, 2012
- Andhra pays tributes to YSR on death anniversary - Sep 02, 2012
- Heavy rain, gale in south coastal Andhra - Dec 30, 2011
- Narasimhan begins second term as Andhra Pradesh governor - May 03, 2012
- YSR's brother among 39 Andhra ministers sworn in - Dec 01, 2010
- Andhra orders probe into 'misuse' of official chopper - May 13, 2012
- Resentment brewing in Congress over Telangana - Sep 20, 2012
- Jagan discusses strategy with loyalists as some drift away - Nov 26, 2010
- Pranab appeals to all Andhra parties to support him (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Congress has no role in Jagan's arrest: Andhra chief minister - May 28, 2012