Andhra poll notification likely in MarchJanuary 5th, 2009 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Jan 5 (IANS) The notification for Andhra Pradesh assembly elections is likely to be issued in March. Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy gave an indication to this effect during a cabinet meeting here Monday. According to official sources, the chief minister told his cabinet colleagues that the poll notification was likely to be issued in the first week of March and the polls were likely to be held in April.
The chief minister directed that all the development works should be completed by month-end.
He said the state assembly session would be convened Feb 2, during which a vote-on- account budget would be presented.
The chief minister asked ministers to gear up for the polls and return to their respective constituencies immediately after the assembly session.
He asked ministers to keep in view the results of the recent by-elections to some local bodies and not to be complacent.
Two cabinet ministers quit Friday, owning moral responsibility for the Congress party’s defeat in two local bodies in their respective assembly constituencies.
YSR, as the chief minister is popularly known, said the resignations were to send a clear message to all party leaders and cadres that they should not be complacent or overconfident.
He, however, exuded confidence that the Congress would retain power, overcoming all challenges from the opposition.
The state is likely to witness simultaneous polls to the assembly and the Lok Sabha.
- YSR Congress Party bags 8 assembly seats, leading in 7 (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR Congress Party wins Nellore Lok Sabha, 14 assembly seats (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Kadapa by-elections - May 06, 2011
- YSR family members to fight it out in Andhra bypolls - Apr 01, 2011
- YSR Congress headed for clean sweep in Andhra by-elections (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Polling on in seven Andhra assembly seats (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Peaceful polling in Andhra by-polls (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- YSR Congress elated over first win outside Kadapa - Mar 21, 2012
- Jagan party shocks Congress, wrests three council seats - Mar 23, 2011
- Jagan formally launches YSR Congress Party - Mar 12, 2011
- Enthusiastic polling in Andhra assembly bypolls (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- YSR's son, widow win by-elections by record margins (Third Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR's widow, son head towards huge wins (Lead) - May 13, 2011