Andhra police gun down criminal, family cries foulOctober 5th, 2010 - 2:07 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 5 (IANS) A notorious criminal was killed in a shootout with police in Andhra Pradesh’s Krishna district Tuesday, but his family alleges he was murdered in cold blood and claims it had earlier complained of a threat to his life from a top cop.
According to police, Adapa Venkanna was killed when a police team returned fire in self-defence near Pedapulipaka in Penamaluru mandal near Vijayawada in the coastal district.
The incident took place early Tuesday when policemen were checking vehicles and frisking people in the area as part of security arrangements for Chief Minister K. Rosaiah’s visit to Vijayawada.
A police officer said the police team stopped two people but one of them opened fire, forcing the cops to retaliate. “While one person managed to escape, the other was killed. He was later identified as notorious criminal Venkanna,” the official said.
Released recently from Cherlapally Jail near here, Venkanna had more than 60 criminal cases against him. Hailing from Rajahmundry in East Godavari district, he was residing at Mangalagiri in Guntur district.
However, Venkanna’s family members have alleged that police murdered him in cold blood. His wife Mahalakshmi claimed he had told her that he was going to Vijayawada for some “settlement” with a police official.
The family members said Venkanna had complained to the State Human Rights Commission that he was facing a threat to his life from Vijayawada Police Commissioner Seetharamanjaneyulu, who was earlier Guntur superintendent of police.
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra (Lead, With corrections in paras 10, 11) - Jan 28, 2012
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra - Jan 28, 2012
- Truck falls over train, 13 trains cancelled - May 16, 2011
- Traffic between Vijayawada, Hyderabad resumes - Oct 04, 2011
- One of worst train disasters in Andhra - May 22, 2012
- Plane with Andhra chief minister hovers in air for 30 minutes - Sep 15, 2011
- Life term for eight in Andhra ex-minister's murder - Aug 25, 2011
- Murder convict arrested 10 years after jumping parole - Dec 20, 2011
- Two Andhra boys held for pushing girl into river - Apr 29, 2011
- Six UP cops booked for murdering colleague - May 09, 2012
- Ire over village head's slaying in Chhattisgarh mounts - Aug 13, 2011
- Haryana Police to monitor 'crime-prone' villages - Jul 03, 2012
- Suspected 'honour killing', three held (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Briton faces death for killing 13 Africans - May 09, 2012
- Gangster, who inspired 'Rakta Charitra', shot dead in Hyderabad (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,