Andhra police chief orders probe into hostage drama (Lead)September 13th, 2012 - 6:42 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 13 (IANS) Andhra Pradesh’s police chief Thursday ordered a probe into the incident in Hyderabad in which a suspended police constable took a senior police official hostage for four hours.
Director General of Police Dinesh Reddy directed a senior official of the rank of additional inspector general of police to conduct the probe and submit a report at the earliest.
Earlier, Giriprasad Sharma, a suspended head constable with the Police Transport Organisation (PTO), called on Reddy and apologized for his behaviour.
Sharma told reporters that he took Superintendent of Police Lakshmi Narayana hostage to highlight his problem, corruption and other issues. He made allegations of corruption against senior officials.
He claimed the police chief promised that no case would be booked against him for taking the official hostage.
Reddy also told him that he would be transferred from PTO to state police headquarters.
The four-hour ‘hostage’ drama ended Wednesday night when Sharma released the official unharmed after an assurance by Reddy to study his demands.
Sharma said he was suspended by Additional Superintendent of Police Vijaykumar seven months ago without assigning any reason.
“Because of this, I have been facing serious financial problems and mental trauma. There was no other method (other) than this to bring my problem to the notice of the higher-ups,” he said.
Sharma kept the police official hostage in a shop run by the constable near Birla Planetarium in the heart of the city.
He had locked the shutters from inside and threatened to kill the official and also commit suicide if police made any attempt to break in.
Senior police officials and firefighters had surrounded the shop.
The incident caused embarrassment to the top brass as the incident took place near the police headquarters.
Police whisked away Sharma after he came out along with the hostage.
- Constable apologizes for taking senior hostage - Sep 13, 2012
- Suspended cop takes senior 'hostage' in Hyderabad - Sep 12, 2012
- Hyderabad 'hostage' drama ends as suspended cop releases senior (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Wives of Andhra cops call off protest - Aug 06, 2012
- Man dies in police custody in Ghaziabad, two cops suspended - Jun 13, 2012
- CBI judge in Hyderabad suspended on Rs.5 crore bribe charge (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Andhra CBI judge arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jun 19, 2012
- Policemen suspended for Rs.500 bribe - Jun 09, 2011
- Clashes over desecration of Ambedkar statues - Jan 23, 2012
- Suspended CBI judge faces arrest for taking bribe (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Curfew continues in riot-hit old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Goa policeman suspended for gambling on duty - Nov 17, 2010
- Reddy supporters protest his arrest - Sep 06, 2011
- CRPF man arrested for looting gold chains - May 04, 2012
- Blast at Congress MP's resort near Hyderabad - May 29, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh, dinesh, director general, head constable, heart of the city, hostage drama, mental trauma, planetarium, police chief, police constable, police official, police officials, senior officials, seven months, shutters, state police headquarters, top brass, transport organisation, ups, vijaykumar