Andhra man beats wife for carrying girl childApril 3rd, 2012 - 5:37 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, April 3 (IANS) In yet another incident of gender bias in Andhra Pradesh, a man beat up his pregnant wife for carrying a girl child, resulting in a miscarriage, police said Tuesday. He was arrested.
The shocking incident took place Sunday in Tenali town of Guntur district, about 315 km from here.
Police arrested Allabaksh and his parents for beating up six-month pregnant Munni, 30, who already has two daughters. The accused were booked for harassing Munni and causing death of the foetus.
Though the crime was committed Sunday, it came to light only after Munni was admitted to hospital. She is in a private hospital and her condition is now stated to be stable.
Allabaksh hit his wife with an iron rod on her stomach. His parents also hit her with a bucket, resulting in the miscarriage, police said.
The family is said to be a strong believer in a godman, who had reportedly predicted that Munni’s sixth pregnancy would lead to birth of a boy. When a scan report revealed that she was carrying a female foetus, her husband and in-laws got angry and decided to eliminate the pregnancy.
Allabaksh had forced his wife to abort twice in the past.
Guntur District Collector V.N. Vishnu has asked the district medical and health officer to probe the incident.
Women organisations voiced concern over the increasing number of female infanticide. The activists said the incidents highlighted the fact that a section of people saw a girl child as a burden.
In May last year, a man in Kurnool town had beaten his pregnant wife to death for carrying a female foetus for the third consecutive time.
In another incident that took place in Warangal district last year, a father killed his baby girl in frustration that his wife failed to deliver a boy for the third time.
- Girl foetus found abandoned in Rajasthan - Jun 16, 2012
- Woman arrested for killing daughter - Jan 07, 2012
- Body of day-old girl found in well in Rajasthan - Jun 12, 2012
- Special police station to probe Rajasthan foeticide cases - Sep 17, 2012
- Fourth foetus found in Jaipur - Mar 31, 2012
- Rajasthan couple tries to bury new born girl alive - Jul 03, 2012
- Girl's foetus found in Rajasthan town - Apr 20, 2012
- Borther cries foul, woman unable to bear boy child dies - Oct 20, 2011
- Honour for women delivering girl child - Aug 09, 2012
- Two female foetuses recovered in Rajasthan - Nov 06, 2011
- Cradle in every village - to save the girl child (With Images) - May 24, 2011
- Rajasthan doctor booked for female foeticide - Nov 02, 2011
- Wary of fourth girl child, man poisons wife, daughters - Apr 13, 2012
- Maharashtra moots murder charge for female foeticide - Jul 10, 2012
- Andhra girl dies in acid attack by jilted lover - Apr 11, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh, baby girl, consecutive time, female infanticide, foetus, gender bias, girl child, godman, health officer, iron rod, munni, pregnant wife, private hospital, scan report, shocking incident, sixth pregnancy, third time, two daughters, vishnu, voiced concern