Andhra hooch tragedy toll rises to 14January 27th, 2010 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Jan 27 (IANS) The death toll in the hooch tragedy in East Godavari district of coastal Andhra Pradesh rose to 14 Wednesday.
A police officer said three more people, who drank moonshine three days ago, died at a hospital in Kakinada. While one person died late Tuesday evening, two others succumbed Wednesday morning.
Seven deaths were reported Monday, a day after the victims consumed moonshine. Four more succumbed Tuesday.
The officer said more people from five villages approached various hospitals. Fifty people were admitted to the Government General Hospital in Kakinada. The condition of three of them is critical.
The authorities said about 150 to 200 people might have consumed the illicit liquor at different places in the district during the last two days. They have appealed to the villagers to immediately approach the nearby hospitals if they drank the illicit liquor.
The victims, most of them farm labourers, were taken ill after they drank the liquor at Gagulakurru Agraharam of Ambajipeta mandal in East Godavari district.
Another police officer said the labourers belonging to different villages had consumed liquor at an illegal extension of a licensed liquor shop (called a belt shop) in Gagulakurru Agraharam.
The state government Tuesday ordered a probe into the incident. Police have arrested P. Ramakrishna, the key accused who told police that he mixed some tablets in the liquor “to give more kick” to the consumers.
- Moonshine kills 11 in Andhra - Jan 26, 2010
- Major hooch tragedies in India - Dec 15, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 171, official suspended (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 (Intro Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 148 (Second Intro Roundup, correcting figure in headline) - Dec 16, 2011
- Moonshine kills 63 in Bengal village - Dec 15, 2011
- WB Congress demands CBI probe in Hooch tragedy - Dec 17, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 167 (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Illicit liquor kills four in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 27, 2011
- Glass of death at Rs.10! - Dec 15, 2011
- Moonshine kills 11 in Punjab - Aug 07, 2012
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 - Dec 15, 2011
- Hooch kills 17 in Andhra (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy mounts to 15 (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Death toll from illicit alcohol in eastern India reaches 146 - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, authorities, death toll, deaths, different places, east godavari, general hospital, godavari district, hooch tragedy, hyderabad, illicit liquor, kakinada, key accused, liquor shop, mandal, nearby hospitals, police officer, state government, tuesday evening, wednesday morning