Andhra government to start conservation work on Mecca MasjidMarch 26th, 2012 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 26 (IANS) The Andhra Pradesh government has decided to start chemical conservation and preservation work on the historic Mecca Masjid in Hyderabad.
The work is to be carried out at a cost of Rs.37.62 lakh and is expected to be completed before the commencement of the holy month of Ramadan this year. “Muslims will be able to witness and enjoy the historical monument in its new glaring and fascinating form,” said Minorities Welfare Minister Mohammed Ahmedullah.
In a statement here Monday, he said the department of tourism and culture had agreed to take up the conservation and preservation work on the 17th century mosque.
Mecca Masjid, one of the oldest and biggest mosques in India, is located near Charminar in the old city of Hyderabad and is a major tourist attraction.
It was Muhammad Quli Qutub Shah, the fifth ruler of the Qutub Shahi dynasty, who started the mosque’s construction in the early 17th century, with bricks brought from Mecca, the Islam’s holiest city. The construction of the mosque was completed by Mughal emperor Aurangzeb in 1694.
- Jumat-ul-Vida passes off peacefully in Hyderabad - Aug 17, 2012
- Old Hyderabad never sleeps for Eid shopping (Letter from Hyderabad) - Aug 16, 2012
- Raze illegal construction at excavated site: Court - Jul 30, 2012
- Tension defused; controversial mosque site handed over to ASI - Jul 21, 2012
- Report on police firing after Mecca Masjid blast submitted - Oct 16, 2010
- Tension defused; Delhi mosque site handed over to ASI (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Babri demolition anniversary passes off peacefully (Roundup) - Dec 06, 2010
- Construction stopped at old Delhi mosque site, visitors pour in - Jul 19, 2012
- Dismiss legislator's plea on mosque, court urged - Aug 16, 2012
- It's time to be in Hyderabad -- for Eid shopping! - Aug 28, 2011
- Kashi Vishwanath temple security to be beefed up - Mar 31, 2011
- Raze illegal construction at excavated site: Court (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Bengali-Islamic fusion food debuts in Delhi (Eating Out With IANS) - Feb 16, 2011
- Ban construction at excavated site, ASI tells court - Jul 25, 2012
- William Dalrymple sad over Hyderabad shedding its past - Sep 11, 2012