Andhra anti-terror force Octopus gets its headquartersAugust 13th, 2012 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 13 (IANS) Andhra Pradesh Monday launched the headquarters of its elite anti-terror commando force Octopus (Organisation For Counter Terrorist Operations).
Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy inaugurated the headquarters of Octopus, formed on the lines of National Security Guard (NSG) to counter terrorist attacks.
The force will comprise 250 commandos, who will be deployed in key cities of the state. About 100 personnel would deal with any threat to the famous temple in Tirupati.
Built at the cost of Rs.5 crore in Begupmet area here, the Octopus headquarters is equipped with the state-of-the-art conference hall and the communication networking.
The Octopus comprises Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) teams, equipped with imported weapons. The chief minister inspected the sophisticated weapons and equipment of the force.
The commandos also gave a demonstration of their skills in house intervention, hostage rescue and Israeli combat technique Krav Maga before the chief minister, Home Minister Sabita Indra Reddy, Director General of Police Dinesh Reddy and others.
Kiran Kumar Reddy also reviewed the works related to the construction of the commando training centre of Octopus at Ibrahimpatnam on the outskirts of Hyderabad.
- NSG regional hub inaugurated in Hyderabad - Dec 06, 2011
- Clashes over desecration of Ambedkar statues - Jan 23, 2012
- Andhra textiles minister attacked, blames home minister - Dec 20, 2011
- Congress leader for legal aid to jailed former minister - Jul 08, 2012
- Hyderabad gets anti-terror hub, to have training centre too (Lead) - Jul 01, 2009
- High alert in Hyderabad after attack on Owaisi - Apr 30, 2011
- Court to hear Andhra minister's graft charges against colleagues - Sep 27, 2011
- Ahead of Srikrishna report, security tightened in Andhra - Dec 30, 2010
- Hyderabad gets NSG hub, to have training centre too (Lead) - Jul 01, 2009
- Curfew imposed in old Hyderabad - Apr 08, 2012
- CBI seeks another three-day custody of Jagan - Jun 07, 2012
- Telangana Congress MPs to surrender guards - Oct 19, 2011
- CBI grills Andhra minister in Jagan case - May 23, 2012
- Andhra minister complains to President against colleague - Jan 03, 2012
- Dalit group seeks action against Andhra home minister - Dec 24, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, art conference, chief minister, commando force, commando training centre, commandos, crore, famous temple, home minister, hostage rescue, kiran kumar, maga, octopus, outskirts, security guard, sophisticated weapons, special weapons and tactics, swat teams, terrorist operations, tirupati