Ancient bird fossil found in ChinaAugust 19th, 2011 - 1:25 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 19 (IANS) A fossil of a bird dating back to seven million years was discovered in northwest China, Xinhua reported Friday.
It was the first intact bird fossil ever found in the Hezheng county, said Chen Shanqin, deputy curator of the Hezheng County Ancient Animal Fossils Museum.
The county in Gansu province is located at the convergence of the Qinghai-Tibet plateau and the Loess plateau.
The fossil features a struggling bird with its wings fully stretched, Chen said Friday.
Judging from the stratum where it was buried, the fossil could date back more than seven million years, Chen said.
However, further study is needed to identify the specie, he added.
Archeologists have found over 30,000 ancient animal fossils in the county and neighbouring areas, including those of the primitive three-toed horse, the platybelodon, which is known as a shovel tusker, and a woolly rhino, which dates back to 2.5 million to 30 million years.
- Did Ice Age giants' ancestors originate in Tibet? - Sep 05, 2011
- Astronomical observatory to come up in Tibet - Apr 13, 2012
- Chinese arrested after 17 years for murder - Dec 27, 2011
- Tibetan encyclopedia shows 'brain surgery was practiced 2900 years ago' - Apr 24, 2011
- Chinese jets train over Tibet - Mar 22, 2012
- Jurassic-era fleas sucked blood from dinosaurs - Mar 01, 2012
- Fossils, mineral rocks attract huge crowds at expo (With Images) - Jan 05, 2012
- China to build museum to preserve Quran copy - Feb 16, 2012
- Chinese scientists find landform left by two million year-old glacial erosion - Apr 08, 2010
- 100,000-yr-old fossilized teeth of cavemen found in Central China - Nov 27, 2010
- Chinese man wants to swap dogs for BMW car - May 11, 2012
- Dinosaur-bird 'missing link' could be egg - Jul 13, 2012
- Ancient sea monsters lived without been discovered for millions of years - May 26, 2011
- Climate change threatening Qinghai-Tibet plateau - Mar 27, 2010
- Ancient Giant Penguins Dressed Casually, No Tux - Oct 02, 2010
Tags: 30 million, ancient animal, ancient bird, animal fossils, china beijing, fossil, further study, loess plateau, million years, neighbouring areas, northwest china, platybelodon, qinghai tibet, shovel, specie, stratum, tibet plateau, tusker, woolly rhino, xinhua