Anand draws 11th game, wins world chess titleOctober 30th, 2008 - 12:22 am ICT by IANS
Bonn, Oct 29 (IANS) India’s Viswanathan Anand drew the 11th game of the 12-game World Chess Championship final with white pieces against Vladimir Kramnik to take an unbeatable 6.5-4.5 lead and retain his world title.The game ended in a draw after 24 moves as Kramnik failed to find a win despite trying to complicate the game.
Anand won three games, the third, fifth and sixth and lost the 10th in a match that looked one-sided till Kramnik brought back some life with a win in 10th game.
In the 11th game, Anand needing only a draw managed that in a game that had a 1. e4 start and led to a Sicilian-Najdorf, which Kramnik rarely plays.
Kramnik went all out for a win and tried to create wild and unstable positions to throw Anand off-guard, but the Indian Grandmaster was upto the task.
In fact as Kramnik overstretched in a do-or-die battle, he actually allowed Anand greater play and may well have lost. But in the end the game ended in a 24-move draw.
According to the pre-match rules, the two players share the purse of 1.5 million Euros equally.
- Anand held for third time; Abhijit, Hari win - Jan 19, 2010
- Corus chess: Anand draws again, Abhijeet wins 11th round - Jan 30, 2010
- Anand bids to be an all-time great (Profile) - May 30, 2012
- World chess title to be decided in te-breaker - May 28, 2012
- Anand has same points as Carlsen, but trails in tie-break - Dec 16, 2010
- Putin praises Russian, Indian chess schools - May 31, 2012
- AAI chess: Caruana stretches lead with win over Negi - Jun 29, 2011
- Anand cements place among all-time greats of chess (Profile) - May 12, 2010
- My 40-minute chess move was crucial: Gelfand - May 29, 2012
- Spoilsport Anand outplays Kramnik, Abhijit second in Group C - Jan 31, 2010
- Ninth successive draw for Anand, Negi scores a win - Jan 27, 2010
- World junior chess: Kerala schoolboy upsets Adhiban - Aug 04, 2011
- Chess fraternity pays tribute to Anand - May 30, 2012
- Anand's family elated at win - May 30, 2012
- Family celebrates Anand's historic feat in Moscow (Lead) - May 30, 2012