AMU alumni protest shelving of Bhopal centreJanuary 15th, 2012 - 11:03 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Jan 15 (IANS) The Aligarh Muslim University’s Old Boys Association (AMU-OBA) Sunday criticised the Madhya Pradesh government’s rejection of a proposal to set up the varsity’s regional centre here.
The regional centres were proposed as a part of implementing the recommendations of the Sachar Committee on the socio-economic condition of Muslims.
Work on the centres is in progress in Pune (Maharashtra), Murshidabad (West Bengal), Malappuram (Kerala) and Kishanganj (Bihar).
The AMU had requested the government for 250 to 300 acres of land in Bhopal.
However, the Madhya Pradesh government in its reply two months ago said it was not interested in setting up the proposed centre.
Addressing a press conference here, Bashir Ahmed, AMU-OBA member and former pro vice chancellor of Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), demanded that the state government change its stand.
“Out of the five proposed regional centres of AMU, four in other states would be fully operational in the next two years, while Madhya Pradesh government has yet to provide land,” he said.
“The Madhya Pradesh government has to only provide the land whereas the union government would bear the bill for the rest,” he added.
The union government has released about Rs.20 crore to each of the four regional centres.
- Bihar transfers land for AMU centre - Dec 30, 2011
- Plea against Aligarh Muslim University centres dismissed - Oct 08, 2010
- Bihar offers land for AMU centre - May 27, 2011
- Pranab assures all help to AMU's new centres - Jun 13, 2011
- AMU to have 250-acre branch in Bihar - Nov 14, 2009
- 273 acres available to AMU to start campus: Banerjee - Jul 30, 2012
- Partition affected Muslims adversely: Vice President - Sep 11, 2012
- 'Way cleared for AMU centres in other states' - Aug 01, 2010
- Mukherjee to lay foundation stone of Aligarh varsity centre - Nov 16, 2010
- AMU seeks more land from Bihar government for new campus - Sep 24, 2009
- Assam interested in setting up AMU centre - Mar 04, 2010
- President's nod for AMU centres in Kerala, Bengal - May 06, 2010
- AMU plans new centres across India - Oct 17, 2010
- AMU's special centre launched in Kerala - Dec 24, 2011
- Muslim body backs Congress - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: aligarh muslim university, amu, bashir, bihar, crore, economic condition, indira gandhi, indira gandhi national open university, madhya pradesh government, maharashtra, malappuram, national open university, oba, old boys association, proposed centre, regional centre, regional centres, union government, vice chancellor, west bengal