AMRI fire Tripura victim’s body found after 12 daysDecember 22nd, 2011 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Dec 22 (IANS) The mutilated body of a Tripura man, who went missing after the AMRI Hospital fire Dec 9, has been found at the morgue of SSKM Hospital in Kolkata, officials said Thursday.
Santosh Das, 25, had fractured his left leg in an accident in Tripura Nov 30 and was subsequently taken to Kolkata for treatment.
“The burnt, mutilated body of Santosh was found by his relatives on Wednesday night,” Tripura Bhavan resident commissioner in Kolkata Ashudeb Das told IANS by phone.
The man’s parents, distraught since the sole bread earner of the family went missing, broke down after getting the news.
Santosh was admitted to the AMRI Hospital Dec 1.
“I met (West Bengal Chief Minister) Mamata Banerjee, several police officers, searched 21 hospitals and some morgues, but could not find my brother till Tuesday night,” Santosh’s younger brother Paritosh told IANS by phone from Kolkata.
Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, in a recent letter to Banerjee, urged her to help trace Santosh.
With Santosh’s body found, the toll from Tripura in the Kolkata hospital fire rose to seven.
In the worst fire tragedy ever in any hospital in India, 94 people were killed in AMRI Hospital.
- AMRI fire: Manik Sarkar seeks Mamata's help - Dec 18, 2011
- AMRI fire: Mamata to help Tripura man looking for brother - Dec 12, 2011
- AMRI tragedy: Tripura man still searching for brother - Dec 10, 2011
- Five days after fire, Tripura family still looking for man - Dec 14, 2011
- Hospital fire death toll now 61: Mamata - Dec 09, 2011
- Week after AMRI fire, anger still not doused - Dec 16, 2011
- AMRI hospital fire: Relatives fight tears, anger at morgue - Dec 09, 2011
- When Mamata turned chief manager in face of tragedy - Dec 10, 2011
- Mamata takes charge - Dec 10, 2011
- Day after: 'Killer' Kolkata hospital turns into ghost house - Dec 10, 2011
- Veteran AMRI doctor gets bail till Feb 15 - Feb 03, 2012
- Kolkata hospital blaze kills 90, India mourns - Dec 10, 2011
- Law will take its course in AMRI directors case: Mamata - Jan 12, 2012
- Left Front demands high-level probe into hospital fire - Dec 10, 2011
- Mamata offers Rs.10,000 for fire victims' last rites - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: amri, brother, chief minister, fire tragedy, hospitals, India, left leg, morgue, morgues, parents, paritosh, police officers, relatives, resident commissioner, santosh, sarkar, tuesday night, wednesday night, west bengal