Amputee triathlete scrambling for balls at US OpenSeptember 1st, 2008 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 1 (DPA) An amputee triathlete from North Carolina is breaking boundaries at the US Open, chasing balls with the best of the rest on court.Kelly Bruno, 24, is the first amputee in a ball girl job ever at Flushing Meadows. The lifelong athlete, who hopes to attend medical school, is a Paralympic world record holder 200 and 800 metre events. She also competes at top level in triathlete and Ironwoman competitions.
Scrambling for balls along with teenagers up to 10 years younger has proved to be a winnable challenge.
“It’s definitely harder than I expected,” she told the New York Times. “For me the running is not as tiresome, but I didn’t think standing was going to be so exhausting.”
Bruno said that it’s the throwing that makes the job tough as she works on a high-tech prosthetic leg.
“Everything is a bit harder for me, but the leg has never been a limiting factor. I’ve had it all my life, so I’m used to it.”
Bruno joins a group of 75 ball girls and boys — from 400 who tried out - at the final Grand Slam of the season, with the best performers selected to work during the high-pressure second week.
- Cuba achieves historic performance in Paralympics - Sep 10, 2012
- Defeated Pistorius questions rules - Sep 03, 2012
- Oscar Pistorious' inspirational photo doing the rounds - Aug 07, 2012
- Prosthetic legs don't give amputee runners an unfair advantage: Study - Nov 05, 2009
- A bionic leg which responds to muscular signals - Apr 21, 2011
- Olympics: Pistorius denied run as South Africa crash out of relay - Aug 09, 2012
- Athletes can hold heads high: Bermuda's chef de mission - Aug 11, 2012
- Amputee Pistorius, Semenya to compete in World Athletics - Aug 08, 2011
- Heather Mills hospitalized after skiing accident - May 13, 2011
- Now, high-tech prosthetic arms that can be controlled with thoughts! - Feb 04, 2011
- Soon, improved prosthetic legs to prevent amputees from tripping - Sep 16, 2009
- British soldier fitted with new Bionic Arm - Feb 21, 2011
- China gets 300th gold in Paralympic history - Sep 07, 2012
- Three US amputee veterans climb Africa's tallest peak Mt.Kilimanjaro - Aug 12, 2010
- Heather Mills to sell New York home - Feb 20, 2011