Amnesty fears China plans to execute convicted spyNovember 22nd, 2008 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 22 (DPA) Amnesty International Saturday said it feared China planned to execute a man convicted of spying for Taiwan and sentenced to death 18 months ago.A Beijing court this week asked the family of former medical scientist Wo Weihan to apply to visit him within seven days after denying them access for nearly four years, the London-based group said in a statement.
“This sudden move suggests that the Supreme People’s Court has approved the death sentence and that the Beijing Municipal Higher People’s Court is preparing to execute Wo Weihan,” the group said.
Wo, 59, was sentenced to death in May 2007 for spying after a closed trial, losing an appeal in February.
The court verdict said Wo was found guilty of spying for Taiwan “on a number of occasions,” such as sending information from scientific magazines and discussing the health of senior Chinese leaders, Amnesty said.
Wo was arrested in January 2005, and prosecutors said he confessed to the charges against him while in detention.
But Wo’s family said he confessed in the absence of a lawyer and that he later retracted the confession, it said.
Wo suffered a brain haemorrhage shortly after his arrest and has been held at a prison hospital since then.
- Iran overturns death sentence for CIA 'spy' - Mar 06, 2012
- Chinese scientist executed on espionage conviction - Nov 28, 2008
- Bring terror suspect Hamza to Mumbai: Court (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Man gets death for terror attack in China - Mar 27, 2012
- More than 400 Afghan women jailed for 'moral crimes' - Mar 29, 2012
- Iran charges two German journalists with spying over Ashtiani case - Nov 16, 2010
- Eighteen-year-old to be executed on false charge of sodomy in Iran - Aug 08, 2010
- Iran hangs 11 convicted drug traffickers - Nov 25, 2011
- Iranian man accused of developing porn websites faces execution - Feb 10, 2011
- Chinese sentenced to death for killing own family - Dec 16, 2011
- US condemns Iran death verdict to 'CIA spy' - Jan 10, 2012
- China mulls human rights, torture in criminal law reform - Mar 08, 2012
- An ex-spy from Jammu struggles for livelihood (Letter from Jammu) - May 06, 2012
- Inmate found dead in China detention centre - Sep 12, 2012
- Chinese official given death for taking bribe - Apr 27, 2012