Amnesty asks Obama to set date for closing GuantanamoJanuary 10th, 2009 - 8:18 am ICT by IANS
London, Jan 10 (DPA) Human rights group Amnesty International has called on US president-elect Barack Obama to name a date for the closure of the Guantanamo Bay detention centre “promptly after taking office” later this month.Amnesty, marking the 7th anniversary of the first transfers of terrorist suspect to the notorious detention centre at a US naval base in Cuba, said Obama should “make a reality” of his commitment to end the human rights violations.
It also urged the future US president to give his backing to the establishment of an independent commission of inquiry into human rights violations committed during the so-called war on terror waged “by or on behalf of” the US government.
“We are not asking the impossible. Barack Obama has already stated his determination to undo some of the wrongs authorised by the US government in the name of national security and we are asking him to turn this commitment into a reality,” Irene Khan, Amnesty International’s secretary general, said in the statement released in London.
“The closure of Guantanamo would mark the beginning of a clean break from past detention policies,” she said, adding: “The devil will now be in the detail: there must be no re-creation of Guantanamo by any other name in any other place.”
- US to release five Taliban from Guantanamo? - Apr 01, 2012
- Obama orders resumption of Guantanamo trials - Mar 08, 2011
- A year later, Obama falters on pledge to shut Guantanamo - Jan 14, 2010
- Guantanamo prison stays despite Obama's deadline - Jan 22, 2010
- UN welcomes US probe into alleged torture of terror suspects - Aug 26, 2009
- Obama defends plans to close Guantanamo - Sep 11, 2010
- Social activist actress Jagger slams Obama for GITMO closure failure - Jan 12, 2011
- US reiterates commitment to Guantanamo prison closure - Apr 26, 2011
- No 9/11 accused has gone to the gallows - Sep 10, 2011
- Guantanamo detainees transferred to Latvia, Spain - Jul 23, 2010
- US names envoy to oversee closing Guantanamo - Mar 13, 2009
- Obama reverses order halting military trails of Guantanamo detainees - Mar 08, 2011
- Closing down Guantanamo prison quickly is a challenge: Obama - Jan 12, 2009
- No political concessions for Guantanamo return: Fidel Castro (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- UN chief welcomes closure of Guantanamo - Jan 24, 2009