Ammonia leak: Disaster averted in AgartalaApril 19th, 2012 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, April 19 (IANS) A prompt response from fire service personnel averted a major disaster here after they successfully contained an Ammonia gas leak from a local cold storage, officials said here Thursday.
The gas leak started abruptly Wednesday night and triggered panic among people residing near the cold storage who then informed the Fire department, a fire official told reporters. The leakage was temporarily sealed off soon after with the help of cold storage workers.
“Experts from Kolkata will arrive here soon to permanently cap the gas leakage from the cold storage in the congested capital city,” the official said.
Fire service director general Kuldip Kumar and senior officials from the state pollution control board have visited the area and asked the owner to seal off the storeroom of the cold storage.
“There is no cause for concern at the moment. Our officials are keeping a close watch on the situation,” Tripura Pollution Control Board chairman Mihir Deb told IANS.
- Fresh gas leakage from Bengal factory triggers panic - Jan 01, 2011
- Gas leak in Mathura, hundreds evacuated - Aug 08, 2012
- Formalim leak forces evacuation of hospital - Mar 27, 2012
- Two treated in Agra after gas leak - Nov 15, 2011
- ONGC yet to cap gas leak at its Tripura well - Jun 17, 2011
- Five killed in ammonia gas cylinder explosion - Nov 14, 2011
- Gas leak in Maharashtra, over 10 hospitalised - Jan 18, 2011
- US experts to help ONGC cap gas leak at Tripura well - Jun 18, 2011
- Bhopal like hazards growing in urban centres, warn activists - Dec 03, 2011
- Six-hour jam on Mumbai-Pune expressway after gas leak - Sep 06, 2012
- Four killed in Gujarat dairy explosion - Sep 03, 2011
- ONGC caps Tripura gas well leak - Jun 20, 2011
- Pipeline sealed to quell naphtha leak in Goa - Aug 23, 2011
- Week after AMRI fire, anger still not doused - Dec 16, 2011
- Gas leak continues at ONGC well in Tripura (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: ammonia gas, ammonia leak, board chairman, close watch, cold storage, deb, director general, fire department, fire official, fire service, gas leak, gas leakage, kuldip, major disaster, mihir, pollution control board, senior officials, service director, state pollution control board, storeroom