Amity University student drowns in college swimming poolSeptember 3rd, 2009 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
Noida, Sep 3 (IANS) An 18-year-old engineering student of Amity University drowned in the college swimming pool Thursday, police said.
Justine John Xavier, a first year B. Tech student of Amity Institute of Space Science & Technology, had gone for his regular swimming session at about 8 a.m. in the college swimming pool. Within minutes, Justine was drowned, police said.
According to college authorities, swimming is allowed for the hostellers in two sessions - between 7-8 a.m. and 8-9 a.m. Justine used to come for swimming in the second slot.
“Justine belonged to Kerala and was an expert swimmer. He was not a beginner. He was 6 ft tall and the college pool was just 4 ft deep. It is very strange that a tall boy like him can drown in shallow waters of merely 4 ft,” institute Director V.P. Sandlas said.
“At the time he drowned, there were nine other students - all hostellers - swimming in the same pool. There were four life guards deployed at the pool for the students’ safety. We are wondering how a good swimmer like him drowned in these circumstances almost instantly,” he said.
“Justine had conveyed to his hostel mates 2-3 days back that he was suffering from some chest pain. He could have died perhaps due to a cardiac arrest inside the pool. But the exact picture would be clear only after the post mortem report is received,” Amity University Vice President (Corporate Communications) Savita Mehta told IANS.
Justine was good at sports and jogged daily, his classmates said.
He was admitted to the college in the last week of July and was staying in the college hostel since early August.
Justine was pursuing a dual degree (B. Tech and M. Tech combined) in space and avionics engineering programme. His father works with a private firm in Saudi Arabia and mother lives in Mumbai.
“A post mortem is yet to be conducted on Justine’s body as his parents are yet to arrive. His father has been informed. One of his uncles staying in Maharashtra is expected to arrive. His mother is also expected to reach,” said Superintendent of Police city A.K. Tripathi.
- Engineering girl student commits suicide - May 21, 2012
- Teen drowns in unauthorised swimming pool - Aug 20, 2012
- Girl student dies; father alleges ragging - Sep 10, 2011
- Three engineering students of BHU drown in Ganga - Sep 29, 2010
- Student found dead in Noida college - Aug 19, 2010
- Boy drowns to death in school pool - Aug 16, 2012
- Case under SC/ST act against Amity - Apr 26, 2012
- Dad banned from swimming pool for 'too long' shorts - Mar 08, 2012
- IIT-Madras student found dead in hostel room - Sep 01, 2011
- Engineering student kills self - Nov 05, 2011
- Spurned, man shoots himself in Jaipur girls' hostel - May 15, 2012
- Manipuri student commits suicide in Bangalore - May 04, 2012
- Class 11 student found dead in Lucknow sports college - Aug 04, 2010
- Three Mumbai students drown in waterfall - Oct 31, 2011
- CBI probe demanded into engineering fresher's death - Sep 12, 2011
Tags: amity university, b tech, classmates, college authorities, college pool, dual degree, engineering student, expert swimmer, institute director, justine, m tech, mother lives, old engineering, post mortem report, private firm, sandlas, savita, shallow waters, space science technology, university vice president