Amitabh Bachchan happy to be cleared of Bofors taint (Lead)April 25th, 2012 - 9:53 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 25 (IANS) Expressing his happiness over his name being cleared from the Bofors payoff scam, mega-star Amitabh Bachchan, however, said that he is “pained” that it came 25 years.
Speaking to reporters here, Bachchan welcomed the revelations made by the Swedish investigators in the Bofors case. He said he had “lived with humiliation and loss of reputation” all these years.
“I am happy that the truth has emerged after 25 years,” he said.
However, he wished that his father, the late Harivanshrai Bachchan, had lived to see this development. “My family knew the truth on Bofors all along, from day one,” Bachchan said.
“My father once asked if I was really involved in the scandal. I wish this disclosure would have happened when he was alive,” he added.
Bachchan’s reactions came in response to fresh revelations in the Bofors case in which Swedish investigator Sten Lindstrom said that the case against actor and then Congress MP and his family was planted in Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter by Indian investigators.
“From the very day we have maintained that we were innocent, for 25 years my as well as my family’s name bore the brunt of the scandal of which I was never a part of,” he said.
He, however, wondered as to why Lindstorm cleared his name only now. He said he quit politics only because he could not get used to it. “I left before the Bofors scandal broke, but some people tried to link my exit from politics to the scandal,” he said.
Earlier, Bachchan had said on his blog that 25 years after the incident, “I read today from one that pioneered accusation and investigation, of innocence”.
“No one shall be able to understand or even remotely fathom, the hours and days and months and years of the anguish of petulant blame that I had to go through. But will it really interest another? No it shall not,” he wrote.
The Bofors case dates back to 1986, when Swiss arms manufacturer Bofors landed a Rs.1,500 crore contract to supply 155 mm howitzers to India. A year later, Swiss media began reporting that the company had paid massive kickbacks to Indian politicians, including then prime minister Rajiv Gandhi, and defence officials.
Lindstrom now says there is no evidence to show Rajiv Gandhi was bribed
- Happy to be cleared of Bofors taint: Amitabh Bachchan (Second Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- BJP, Left want government's explanation on Bofors revelations - Apr 25, 2012
- We've been vindicated, say Bachchans after Bofors revelations - Apr 25, 2012
- Amitabh Bachchan happy to be cleared of Bofors taint - Apr 25, 2012
- Bofors resurrected, Congress again on mat over Quattrocchi (Intro Roundup) - Apr 25, 2012
- Bofors resurrected, Congress on mat over Quattrochchi again (Roundup) - Apr 25, 2012
- Opposition asks government to explain Bofors disclosures (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Bofors saga: a new twist and a story retold (Comment) - Apr 26, 2012
- What Lindstrom said on key players in Bofors scam - Apr 25, 2012
- Lindstrom's revelations clean chit for Rajiv: Congress - Apr 25, 2012
- Chronology: Bofors graft row over last 25 years - Apr 25, 2012
- 25 years of India's 'Watergate': The Bofors scandal (Second Lead, superseding previous story) - Apr 25, 2012
- 25 years of India's 'Watergate': The Bofors scandal (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Bofors storm rocks parliament, fresh probe demanded (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Bofors storm rocks parliament, opposition seeks fresh probe (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: accusation, amitabh bachchan, anguish, bofors case, bofors scandal, brunt, disclosure, happiness, harivanshrai bachchan, humiliation, indian investigators, innocence, mega star, mp, nyheter, revelations, rs 1, star amitabh bachchan, swiss arms, taint