Amid tears, Kanimozhi puts up brave faceNovember 3rd, 2011 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 3 (IANS) A commotion broke out in the courtroom as soon as CBI special judge O.P. Saini dismissed the bail pleas of Kanimozhi and seven others in the 2G scam Thursday. There were tears, whispers and hugs as the DMK MP put up a brave face and smiled at her 11-year-old son.
She also smiled at many others who came to greet her in court, but broke down on seeing her mother cry. “Don’t cry …,” Kanimozhi, 43, clad in a fuchsia-pink salwar kameez, whispered to her mother as she sat next to her, holding her arm.
Her son and husband despaired even as the mother and daughter shared a few moments together in the presence of several cops, lawyers and relatives of other accused who had come to the crucial court hearing in the 2G scam.
The DMK chief’s daughter, unflinching as the cameras clicked her, could be heard referring to the words “white collared criminals” mentioned in the judgment copy while talking to her husband Aravindan and co-accused Sharad Kumar.
At around 11.15 a.m. Thursday, when 2G accused and DMK MP Kanimozhi had entered the Patiala House court complex here, her mother Rajathi Ammal looked at her with hopeful eyes. The daughter gestured that the mother sit close to her.
Within minutes the atmospherics were to change.
As the judge passed the ruling, Kanimozhi could not hear clearly what he said, so she asked her lawyer if the bail plea had been dismissed or adjourned. The reply was not what many in court had hoped for.
A nearly 45-minute conversation with her counsel and family members followed after the judgement. All the while, Kanimozhi had co-accused and former communications minister A. Raja’s wife Parameswari by her side.
Parameswari, who has also been quizzed by investigative agencies in the case, was comforted by Kanimozhi, who said, “Don’t worry … It will be fine.”
DMK members and relatives in the court said the family was hopeful about Thursday’s judgment, and celebrations had been slated back home.
“A DMK MP had offered her hair as prayers to the village deity for the release of Kanimozhi…we were hopeful she will be back home this time,” said a DMK member present at the hearing.
Kanimozhi, who has been in Tihar Jail since May 20, was refused bail for the fourth time. Her frustration came alive when she snapped at reporters who were watching her talk to family members.
“Are you human beings or what …? Can’t you see I am consulting my family? Please leave us alone,” she shouted at the scribes.
DMK member and actress Khushboo, party leaders T.R. Baalu and T.K.S. Elongavan were among those around Kanimozhi during the hearing. After spending some time in the court with her mother, husband Aravindan and son, Kanimozhi was all set to go back to Tihar Jail.
Some of the accused were also accompanied by their lawyers who had brought bail bonds and family members along. Their expectations dashed, the relatives sobbed in some corners of the room.
The daughter of Cineyug’s Karim Morani as well as the wife and mother-in-law of Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Balwa broke down minutes after the bail pleas were dismissed.
Among the other accused present in court were Shahid Balwa, Raja’s ex-private secretary R.K. Chandolia, Kalaignar TV chief Sharad Kumar, directors of Kusegaon Fruits & Vegetables Pvt Ltd Asif Balwa and Rajiv B. Agarwal, Bollywood producer Karim Morani and former telecom secretary Siddhartha Behura.
- Hopes dashed as Kanimozhi, others denied bail again (Roundup) - Nov 03, 2011
- Kanimozhi, five others released from Tihar (Roundup) - Nov 29, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar move high court for bail (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar in custody after bail denied (Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Kanimozhi gets two-day exemption from court appearance (Lead) - May 10, 2011
- Kanimozhi relaxed after bail verdict deferred - May 14, 2011
- Kanimozhi, four others get bail, Karunanidhi beams (Roundup) - Nov 28, 2011
- Bail pleas of Kanimozhi, five others to be heard Friday - Nov 24, 2011
- Kanimozhi, five others move court for early bail hearing - Nov 23, 2011
- No bail for Kanimozhi, seven others - Nov 03, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar in Tihar Jail for 2G scam (Roundup) - May 20, 2011
- After bail, 2G case accused honchos look relaxed - Nov 24, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar's bail order reserved (Second Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Bail hearing of Kanimozhi, five others deferred till Monday (Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
- Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar move high court for bail - May 23, 2011
Tags: atmospherics, bail plea, bail pleas, brave face, cbi, commotion, court hearing, dmk members, don t cry, fuchsia, investigative agencies, kanimozhi, minute conversation, mother and daughter, mother cry, patiala house court, quizzed, saini, salwar kameez, special judge