American Jewish Council writes to Manmohan on Mumbai attackNovember 28th, 2008 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Nov 28 (IANS) Expressing outrage at the Mumbai terrorist attacks, the American Jewish Council (AJC) has written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, expressing the community’s solidarity with India. “We strongly condemn these senseless and cowardly attacks and stand in solidarity with the people and the government of India at this time, as we have long stood with India and its sister democracies in the struggle against hatred and violence,” the AJC said in the letter to the prime minister.
“As this tragedy is still unfolding, we understand that a number of people are being held hostage, and we join you in hoping for their safe and quick release,” the AJC said.
The AJC is the apex body of the influential Jewish community in the US.
The letter is signed by its president Richard J. Sideman and executive director David A. Harris.
A long-term supporter of enhanced US-Indian cooperation, AJC expressed deepest condolences for the lives lost in the terror attack and said it was outraged over the scale and brazenness of these assaults.
A group of terrorists Wednesday night struck at 10 places in Mumbai, including the Nariman House, also known as Chabad House and headquarters of a Jewish movement, where they had taken eight people hostage. These included a rabbi and his wife.
- Nariman House reopens on 26/11 first anniversary - Nov 26, 2009
- Canadian outrage over killing of Jews in Mumbai - Nov 29, 2008
- 26/11 ravaged Mumbai Jewish centre to be revived - Jun 17, 2010
- NATO secretary general condemns Mumbai attacks - Jul 15, 2011
- Mumbai Chabad House 'home' for Baby Moshe, say grandparents - Nov 24, 2010
- Chidambaram to pay homage to Mumbai terror attack victims - Nov 25, 2010
- Mumbai terror: World leaders rally in solidarity (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2011
- Pune bakery bombing won't scare Israelis, Jews away from India: Chabad House owner - Feb 15, 2010
- Mumbai remembers, prays for 26/11 victims - Nov 26, 2010
- Hatred of Jews spurred Nariman House attack: Israel - Nov 30, 2008
- Delhi's Chabad House closed for non-Israelis - Feb 14, 2012
- Bodies of Israeli rabbi, wife among five found in Nariman House - Nov 28, 2008
- Israel pays tribute to 26/11 victims at Mumbai's Jewish centre - Jan 14, 2010
- Multi-faith prayer meet to mark 26/11 anniversary - Nov 17, 2009
- Jews around the world mark 26/11, with resolve 'to do good' - Nov 26, 2009