Amendments to organ transplant Act proposedMarch 11th, 2008 - 10:58 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 11 (IANS) The health ministry has proposed wide amendments to the Transplantation of Human Organs Act, including setting up of an authority independent of Director General of Health Services (DGHS) in the capital, Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss said Tuesday. Ramadoss informed the Rajya Sabha that changes are intended to facilitate genuine cases, increase transparency in transplantation procedures and to provide deterrent penalties for violation of the law.
The ministry proposes to empower union territories, especially government of Delhi, to have their own appropriate authority instead of the DGHS. It also intends to make the punishments harsh and offences cognizable to deter illegal transplantation activities.
If the proposals get parliament’s approval, it will provide for registration of the centres for removal of organs from the cadavers and brain dead patients for harvesting of organs.
It will also allow swap operations between the related donors and recipients who do not match among themselves but match with other similar donors and recipients, the minister said.
An amendment to the organ transplant Act was discussed after the Uttar Pradesh and Haryana Police jointly unearthed a multi-billion dollar kidney transplant racket in Gurgaon, on the outskirt of Delhi in January.
- Singapore doctors promote organ donation - Sep 03, 2011
- Organ donors need to know outcomes of surgery: Court - Aug 19, 2012
- Decide soon on woman's liver transplant plea, court asks government - Jun 15, 2012
- 'Stiff penalties mooted for unethical practices in organ grafting' - Nov 27, 2010
- Hyderabad hospital performs rare kidney transplant - Aug 19, 2011
- Bill to amend Transplantation of Human Organs Act tabled - Aug 26, 2011
- Two Sri Lankan families swap livers for transplant - Jun 07, 2011
- Court summons kidney scam kingpin from Jaipur - Jul 24, 2011
- Save lives, become an organ donor (Nov 27 is World Organ Donation Day) - Nov 27, 2010
- Court allows woman to get kidney from relative - May 15, 2012
- Delhi homemaker gets new heart - May 31, 2011
- Grandparents, grandchildren can now donate organs to relatives - Dec 18, 2009
- Ramadoss announces national organ transplant programme - Nov 15, 2008
- Cuba has carried out 5,000 kidney transplants - Dec 06, 2011
- Only 4,500 out of two lakh get transplants - Feb 15, 2012