Ambedkar statue desecrated, tension in Uttar Pradesh villageOctober 11th, 2008 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 11 (IANS) Tension gripped a village in Uttar Pradesh’s Jalaun district after some unidentified people desecrated a statue of Dalit icon Bhimrao Ambedkar, police said Saturday.”Extra forces have been deployed and a case has been registered against unidentified persons, who desecrated the Ambedkar statue in Nadigaon village in Jalaun Friday,” police inspector Manoj Raghuvanshi told IANS over telephone.
Ambedkar was also the chief architect of the Indian constitution.
Police attribute the incident to a land dispute between a section of Buddhists and others.
On Saturday, several people took to the streets demanding arrest of those who desecrated the statue.
- Ambedkar's statue again desecrated in Andhra - Jan 26, 2012
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra (Lead, With corrections in paras 10, 11) - Jan 28, 2012
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra - Jan 28, 2012
- Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated; Dalits stage sit-in (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Desecration of Ambedkar statue triggers protests in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 13, 2009
- Tension in Uttar Pradesh village after Ambedkar statue desecration - Jan 23, 2009
- Desecration of Ambedkar statue leads to tension in Uttar Pradesh village - Nov 06, 2008
- Clashes over desecration of Ambedkar statues - Jan 23, 2012
- Three Ambedkar statues vandalised in UP - Jul 28, 2012
- Mayawati readies for first appearance after poll debacle - Apr 14, 2012
- Maharashtra celebrates Ambedkar's birth anniversary - Apr 14, 2012
- Ambedkar's statue desecrated in Uttar Pradesh village - Dec 12, 2008
- Finally, covers go off Mayawati statues (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Mob blocks traffic in Ghaziabad after Ambedkar statue damaged - Jul 06, 2012
- UP officials not taking Akhilesh seriously: BSP - Jul 30, 2012