Amartya Sen urges Jain industrialists to invest in PawapuriFebruary 21st, 2009 - 4:29 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 21 (IANS) Nobel laureate Amartya Sen Saturday urged industrialists the Jain community to take initiative to develop Pawapuri in Bihar’s Nalanda district, where Lord Mahavira, the founder of Jainism, is believed to have attained enlightenment.
“They (Jain industrialists) should invest for its development,” Sen told reporters here.
The renowned economist, who visited Pawapuri Friday, said there was a need to set up three-star hotels, an engineering college and other infrastructure for the area’s development.
Sen recalled that last time he visited Pawapuri in 2003 when he was part of the delegation of former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam. Pawapuri is nearly 90 km from Patna.
He is currently in Bihar for a meeting of the mentor group of the proposed Nalanda International University in Nalanda. Sen heads the mentor group.
Thousands of Jains from across the world visit Pawapuri to offer prayers at the site where Mahavira’s last rites were performed.
- Invest where Mahavira got enlightenment, Jains told (Lead) - Feb 21, 2009
- Amartya Sen-headed Nalanda varsity group to meet in Patna - Jul 05, 2011
- Amartya Sen in Bihar for Nalanda meeting - Jul 18, 2012
- Nalanda Mentor Group holds meet in Patna - Jul 06, 2011
- Kalam dissociates himself from Nalanda university - Sep 15, 2011
- Amartya Sen appointed chancellor of Nalanda University - Jul 20, 2012
- Global competition for Nalanda university design - Jul 07, 2011
- New thinking needed to save Presidency, say experts - Jul 23, 2011
- Amartya Sen to be chief mentor of Presidency University - Jun 04, 2011
- Vacancies to be filled at Kolkata's Presidency University - May 26, 2011
- Padma for Singapore ex-minister with Nalanda connect - Jan 25, 2012
- Primary education in India: Learn from ASEAN, says Amartya - Jul 21, 2012
- Singapore Foreign Minister Yeo calls on S.M. Krishna in New Delhi - Aug 03, 2010
- Singapore Foreign Minister Yeo meets Chidambaram - Aug 04, 2010
- Singapore Foreign Minister attends Nalanda panel meet - Aug 03, 2010