Amartya Sen to be chief mentor of Presidency UniversityJune 4th, 2011 - 3:03 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 4 (IANS) Nobel laureate economist Amartya Sen will be the chief mentor of the prestigious Presidency University, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has said.
Sugato Bose, grand nephew of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, will be the chairman of the mentor group to be formed on the lines of the newly-revived Nalanda International University in Bihar.
“We will not choose the members. We don’t want partycracy, but democracy. The two of them will decide on that,” Banerjee said Friday.
Last year, the former Left Front government had upgraded the 193-year-old Presidency College into a university.
Originally called Hindu College that cradled the Bengal renaissance in the 19th century, the hallowed institution was rechristened Presidency College in 1855.
The institution, with around 2,500 students, still churns out talent, but is facing a lot of criticism about its falling standards due to alleged politics in teacher recruitment and frequent student unrest.
The college’s alumni include Nobel laureate poet Rabindranath Tagore, social reformer Swami Vivekananda, freedom fighter Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, filmmaker Satyajit Ray, Marxist legend Jyoti Basu, economist Amartya Sen and scientist Satyendranath Bose.
The country’s first president, Rajendra Prasad, and former state chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee were also students of the college.
- New thinking needed to save Presidency, say experts - Jul 23, 2011
- Presidency varsity mentor group meets Mamata (Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Netaji's grand nephew to help revive Presidency - Jun 06, 2011
- Presidency mentor group submits recommendations - Aug 25, 2011
- Vacancies to be filled at Kolkata's Presidency University - May 26, 2011
- Amita Chattopadhyay joins as first vice chancellor of Presidency University - Nov 01, 2010
- Fire breaks out at Presidency University in Kolkata - Oct 29, 2010
- Fire breaks out at Kolkata's famous Presidency University - Oct 29, 2010
- Presidency fire causes major damage (Second Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Presidency to hold election - Mar 05, 2012
- Presidency University tagged innovation hub - Nov 29, 2011
- Fire in Presidency University causes extensive damage (Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Amartya Sen welcomes Mamata's move on Presidency varsity - Jul 08, 2011
- Mamata, Amartya Sen discuss Presidency's future - Jul 09, 2011
- Amita Chattopadhyay first vice chancellor of Presidency University - Oct 06, 2010
Tags: bhattacharjee, chief mentor, freedom fighter, grand nephew, hindu college, mamata banerjee, mentor group, netaji subhas chandra bose, nobel laureate economist, presidency college, rabindranath tagore, rajendra prasad, satyajit ray, satyendranath bose, social reformer, state chief, student unrest, subhas chandra bose, teacher recruitment, west bengal