Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 18April 4th, 2008 - 2:42 pm ICT by admin
Jammu, April 4 (IANS) The annual pilgrimage to the cave shrine of Amarnath in south Kashmir will begin June 18 and last till Aug 16. Governor, Lt Gen (retd) S.K. Sinha, who is also chairman of the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) declared the dates at a meeting of the SASB in Jammu Thursday.
According to a spokesperson of the shrine board the Shivlingam, a natural ice stalagmite, is fully formed in the cave shrine, located at a height of 13,500 feet above sea level.
The spokesperson circulated a picture showing the full formation of the Shivlingam taken March 25, saying that global warming has not affected its formation.
“We feel encouraged by this development, which is a good omen for this year’s pilgrimage,” the governor said.
Nearly 400,000 pilgrims visit the shrine every year.
- Next year, fitness must for Amarnath pilgrims - Oct 22, 2011
- Over 200,000 pilgrims visit Amarnath Shrine - Jul 10, 2011
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage: First prayers offered, but not at shrine - Jun 15, 2011
- First Amarnath prayers offered, not at shrine (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrims can start registering May 10 - May 03, 2011
- Unregistered Amarnath pilgrims cause chaos - Jun 28, 2012
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- 74 Amarnath pilgrims die in 19 days - Jul 14, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra: 300 Hindu activists detained in Jammu - Jun 03, 2012