Amarnath pilgrimage resumesJuly 2nd, 2011 - 10:09 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 2 (IANS) After remaining suspended for a day due to bad weather, the annual Amarnath pilgrimage to the cave shrine in Jammu and Kashmir resumed early Saturday, an official said
“More than 15,000 pilgrims were allowed to move towards the cave shrine from Baltal base camp at around 3 a.m.,” a paramilitary official said.
Reports from Pahalgam base camp also said that around 5,000 pilgrims had started their 43 km uphill trek.
Over 35,000 people have already performed the pilgrimage that commenced June 29.
The Amarnath cave shrine, located 13,500 ft above sea level in the Himalayas in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district, houses a stalagmite structure which Hindus believe symbolises the mythical powers of Lord Shiva.
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Over dozen Amarnath pilgrims injured in cane charge - Jul 02, 2011
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- 18,000 pilgrims proceed towards Amarnath cave shrine - Jun 30, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Over hundred thousand perform Amarnath Yatra in seven days - Jul 05, 2011
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Bad weather suspends Amarnath pilgrimage - Jul 01, 2011
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- 600,000 pilgrims perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 25, 2011
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012