Amarnath pilgrimage registration startsMay 20th, 2009 - 1:02 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 20 (IANS) Registration for the annual pilgrimage to the Amarnath cave shrine in Jammu and Kashmir began Wednesday at over 100 counters across the country, officials said.
The registration started at specials counters of Jammu and Kashmir Bank and also online.
“To begin with we will register 285,000 pilgrims at the counters whereas no limit has so far been fixed for online registration,” a bank official said.
The pilgrimage starts June 7 and ends Aug 5, the Shravan Purnima day or the full moon day in Shravan month of the Hindu calendar.
The high altitude Amarnath shrine in south Kashmir houses an ice stalagmite, an icon of Hindu lord Shiva. Hundreds of thousands of Hindus visit the cave shrine situated at an altitude of 4,175 metres.
The registration for the pilgrimage at the bank branches will be done from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Friday, and from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays. The facility is closed Sunday, the official said.
- Annual Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 02, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage registration to commence Tuesday - May 09, 2011
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- More than 150,000 register for Amarnath pilgrimage - May 22, 2011
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- 16 Amarnath devotees killed as truck falls into gorge (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Enhanced healthcare ordered for Amarnath pilgrims - Jul 09, 2012
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- 'Amarnath yatra duration as per religious tradition' - Apr 15, 2012
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011