Amandeep settles for silver in Asian BoxingAugust 12th, 2011 - 9:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 12 (IANS) Indian boxer Amandeep Singh (49 kg) Friday settled for a silver in the Asian Boxing Championships at Incheon, South Korea.
According to information reaching here, the Commonwealth Games bronze-medallist lost 11-18 to Shin Jong Hun of South Korea. The 25-year-old India was the only Indian to have qualified for the final. Amandeep beat Asylbek Nazaraliev of Kyrgyzstan in a hard fought encounter to set up a summit clash with local lad Jong Hun.
Jong Hun, a World Championship bronze medallist, made an aggressive start, not giving Amandeep many chances to score, but the Indian pugilists managed throw in a few straight punches.
After the opening three minutes Amandeep was down a point at 4:5. He tried hard to gain the advantage but failed to connect; Shin though, kept increasing the margin with his body blows and short jabs.
Earlier in the tournament, 2010 Commonwealth Games champion Paramjeet Samota (91kg) and 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games gold medallist Balwinder Beniwal (64kg) had to settle for a bronze medal.
- Amandeep in final of Asian Confederation boxing - Aug 11, 2011
- Eight boxers to represent Indian at Asian Championships - Jul 21, 2011
- World Boxing Championship: Devendro in second round - Sep 26, 2011
- Akhil, Vijender to lead charge in World Boxing Championship - Aug 18, 2011
- Top Indian boxers head to Cuba for Olympics' preparation - May 22, 2011
- Suranjoy, Sumit in second round of Asian Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Samota, Manpreet lead 10-member Indian team for Kazakh boxing meet - Feb 08, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Krishan, Manpreet in semis - Nov 21, 2010
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender and Suranjoy in semis; Amandeep in quarters - Nov 20, 2010
- Samota, Thapa win gold at Belgrade boxing event - Apr 24, 2011
- World Boxing Championships: Devendro cruises into prequarters - Oct 03, 2011
- Boxer Poonia settles for silver at Comonwealth Youth Games - Sep 12, 2011
- Eight Indian boxers to take part in Belgrade tournament - Apr 15, 2011
- Indian boxers off to a good start in Cuba - Jun 03, 2011
- Asian Games boxing: Santhosh in semis, Amandeep out in quarters - Nov 22, 2010
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, body blows, boxer, boxing, bronze medal, bronze medallist, commonwealth youth games, games gold, gold medallist, incheon south korea, jabs, kyrgyzstan, lad, New Delhi, pugilists, punches, shin jong, south korea, summit clash, three minutes