Am ready to talk to Mamata if she is ready: PranabJuly 9th, 2012 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 9 (IANS) United Progressive Alliance (UPA) presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee Monday said he was willing to meet Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee provided she too was ready to talk.
Mukherjee, who is in the city to garner support for his candidature, said: “I am ready to talk to her as and when she is ready to talk to me. Since my candidature was announced I have expressed my desire to have the support of the partner of UPA Trinamool Congress.”
“I understand that they have not yet taken a decision. They will take the decision at the appropriate time,” Mukherjee told reporters.
Banerjee, also West Bengal chief minister, is yet to announce her party’s support to any candidate. She had earlier snubbed Mukherjee by rooting for former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.
The Trinamool, the second largest constituent of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA), is yet to take a stand on the presidential election after its preferred candidate, Kalam, declined to contest.
Banerjee has so far opposed Mukherjee’s bid for the top post. She is said to have told her aides that she would decide her stand two or three days before the July 19 vote.
In an indication of a hardening of the Trinamool stand, party leader Subrata Mukherjee Sunday said Mukherjee had been a close friend of the Communists through his life.
Mukherjee is pitted against former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma, who has the support of the Bharatiya Janata Party and some National Democratic Alliance constituents besides the AIADMK and Biju Janata Dal.
The electoral arithmetic seems to be favouring Mukherjee with all the UPA constituents except Trinamool rooting for him. The Samajwadi Party, Bahujan Samaj Party, Communist Party of India-Marxist, All India Forward Bloc, Janata Dal-United and Shiv Sena have also expressed their support for him.
- Decide on Trinamool alliance after presidential polls: Bengal Congress - Jul 09, 2012
- Sibal meets Mamata to seek support for Pranab - Jul 05, 2012
- Pranab arrives in Kolkata, to meet supporters Monday - Jul 08, 2012
- Trinamool should support Pranab to save face: Congress - Jul 16, 2012
- Sangma meeets Mamata - Jun 26, 2012
- Sangma meets Mamata; fails to get commitment on support (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Pranab will win, says Chidambaram; Sibal meets Mamata (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- Trinamool's votes not needed in presidential poll: Congress - Jul 06, 2012
- Pranab writes to Mamata for support - Jul 15, 2012
- Pranab yet again appeals to Trinamool - Jun 24, 2012
- Pranab is a friend of Communists: Trinamool - Jul 08, 2012
- Pranab tries to woo Trinamool, to resign Sunday - Jun 23, 2012
- Will talk to Mamata if necessary, says Pranab - Jun 24, 2012
- Congress slams BJP, asks others to revisit stand on Pranab - Jun 22, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, aiadmk, bharatiya janata party, candidature, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, forward bloc, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, national democratic alliance, party leader, pranab mukherjee, preferred candidate, presidential nominee, progressive alliance, Samajwadi Party, shiv sena, trinamool congress chief, west bengal