Allow policemen to show tattoos: British top copJuly 25th, 2011 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 25 (IANS) A top police official in Britain has asked for a law to allow policemen to be able to display their tattoos as a “good way to start communication” with the public.
Kent Police Federation Chairman Ian Pointon said body art could be an “icebreaker”, The Sun reported.
“It comes down to personal taste and a generational gap in attitudes. We’ve got to get over this. The days of tattoos being stigmatised should be over.”
“There have been no complaints from the public about officers’ tattoos. They can actually be a good way to start a line of communication,” he said.
Police officers in England and Wales are barred from having tattoos. Body and facial piercings are also banned.
A Scotland Yard statement said: “Tattoos on the face or visible above the collar aren’t permitted.”
“Anyone who has a tattoo that could be construed as being offensive to any religion or belief, or is in any way discriminatory, violent or intimidating, will not be accepted to join.”
“An existing member of staff who gets themselves tattooed in this way may become subject to disciplinary proceedings.”
- Nearly 1,000 British cops have criminal records - Jan 03, 2012
- Once taboo, tattoos now the new fashion statement - May 07, 2011
- Another British police officer resigns over phone-hacking scandal - Jul 18, 2011
- British billionaire 'lived with wife's body for four days' - Jul 12, 2012
- Three British policemen sacked every week - Jan 30, 2012
- Scotland Yard to be sued over cabbie's killing? - Aug 10, 2011
- Italy's macho soldiers asked to remove tattoos - Aug 17, 2012
- UK police arrest 'suspect' involved in MQM leader Imran Farooq's murder - Dec 10, 2010
- Fancy a tattoo? Beware of hepatitis virus (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 28, 2011
- Fearing racism, Scotland Yard says 'no' to blacklist - May 07, 2012
- Fail fitness test, get pay cut: British cops told - Mar 16, 2012
- London riots: Over 100 policemen, five service dogs injured - Aug 10, 2011
- Indian team colours its boys with body paints for World Cup (With Image) - Jan 12, 2011
- Five things you should never wear to office - Nov 12, 2010
- AIDS stigma drives HIV in India: World Bank study - Jul 22, 2010
Tags: attitudes, belief, body art, cop, disciplinary proceedings, england and wales, existing member, facial piercings, federation chairman, gap, kent police federation, london, personal taste, police officers, police official, policemen, religion, scotland yard, sun, tattoo