Allegiance oath for British school leavers pooh-poohedMarch 11th, 2008 - 7:04 pm ICT by admin
London, March 11 (IANS) All school leavers in Britain should swear allegiance to the Queen and the country, a former British attorney general proposed Tuesday. “There has been a diminution of national pride”, and Britain is a “less homogenous society”, said Lord Peter Goldsmith, who made his recommendations in a report to the government.
He said a citizenship ceremony for schoolchildren would help “promote a sense of shared belonging”.
However, critics ridiculed the idea, with Baroness Kennedy of the ruling Labour Party saying: “I think it’s rather silly.”
John Dunford from the Association of School and College leaders said it was “a half-baked idea”.
Goldsmith has been a controversial public figure in Britain.
He resigned just days before Brown was to take over as British premier in June last year after six years in the job.
Goldsmith was criticised over his advice to the government of Tony Blair on whether the war on Iraq was lawful and for halting a corruption inquiry into a deal involving Saudi Arabia and British Aerospace Systems.
In February last year, the 57-year-old Goldsmith admitted to having an extra-marital affair with Britain’s first Asian QC, Kim Hollis.
- Blair expresses regret for Iraq war victims - Jan 22, 2011
- 'Tony Blair misled Brit MPs over going ahead with Iraq invasion without UN backing' - Jan 18, 2011
- Secret letter reveals Blair knew Iraq invasion was illegal - Nov 30, 2009
- Prince William behind Tony Blair wedding snub due to personal hatred? - Apr 29, 2011
- British workers losing jobs to immigrants - Aug 23, 2010
- Burley asked to 'remove and revise' details of three women in 'suave' PM's life in her book - Sep 12, 2010
- Pawan Shankar prefers to be centre of attention (With Image) - Jul 05, 2012
- British cos. to sack staff more easily - Jan 10, 2011
- UK minister wants unemployed Brit youths to be sent to India - Sep 19, 2010
- Jack Osbourne becomes US citizen - Apr 19, 2012
- It's time for Britons to learn English! - Feb 24, 2012
- Belgian PM Herman Van Rompuy appointed first EU President - Nov 20, 2009
- Iraq war victims' relatives shout, "it's too late" as Blair regrets loss of lives - Jan 22, 2011
- British military chief outlines future army size - Feb 01, 2012
- Iraq war illegal, Tony Blair was told - Jul 02, 2010