All Tibet news media to be bilingual in five years: OfficialsNovember 13th, 2011 - 11:39 pm ICT by IANS
Lhasa, Nov 13 (IANS) Officials in southwest China’s autonomous region of Tibet Sunday said they planned to have all local media releases published or broadcast in both Chinese Mandarin and the Tibetan language in the next five years.
The government will support the publication and distribution of video products, books, newspapers and magazines in both Mandarin and Tibetan and also aid translating TV programs into Tibetan language, said Chen Quanguo, Tibet’s Party chief, reported Xinhua.
“This will help all ethnic groups read and understand,” Chen said at the Tibet Autonomous Regional Congress of the Communist Party of China being held in the regional capital Lhasa.
Tibet invested over 100 million yuan ($15.8 million) in the media and TV programmes translation work between 2006 and 2010, official data showed.
Tibet currently has a 24-hour Tibetan-language TV channel that offers news programs and TV drama series and is favoured by over 80 percent of Tibetan farmers and herdsmen as their first-choice TV channel, a survey has showed.
- 'Tom and Jerry' now in Tibetan language - Jan 14, 2012
- China gives solar-powered TVs to herdsmen - Nov 01, 2011
- Self-immolations: China warns Dalai Lama - Mar 07, 2012
- China restricts foreigners from visiting Tibet - Mar 08, 2011
- China plans to protect Tibetan cultural relics - Mar 02, 2012
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- Tibet has leapt from serfdom to socialism: Chinese envoy - Jul 24, 2011
- Czech deputy PM concerned over Tibet situation - Mar 02, 2012
- Self-immolations in Tibet politically motivated: Lawmaker - May 16, 2012
- Tibetans in Western China protest against proposed language curbs - Oct 23, 2010
- Tibetan self immolations: Why isn't the world listening? (Comment) - Mar 29, 2012
- Ancient Tibetan scripture found in Lhasa - Jun 14, 2012
- Journalists banned from entering Tibet: Media organisation - Feb 28, 2012
- China to lift 100,000 people out of poverty - Mar 11, 2012
- Dalai Lama a symbol of peace: Dhumal - Sep 02, 2011