All-Kerala CBI team takes over Sister Abhaya murder probeNovember 4th, 2008 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Nov 4 (IANS) After 12 Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) teams failed to crack the 1992 murder of Sister Abhaya, a nun whose body was found in the well of a convent in Kottayam, a new all-Kerala team from the same bureau took over the probe Tuesday. Deputy Superintendent of Police Nandakumaran Nair arrived before Justice R. Basant to take over the investigation.
The Kerala High Court had last month rapped the CBI over the slow progress in its probe and asked the Kerala unit of the CBI to take over.
The judge asked the new team to submit its first information report to the court in 45 days and submit the first full progress report of the investigation before Feb 4 next year.
The judge also said that the team members should not be asked to enquire into any other cases and they are free to approach the court in case they come under duress or pressure from any quarters.
Sister Abhaya, a resident of Pious X Hostel near here, was found dead March 27, 1992. In November 1996, the CBI concluded that the death was a homicide but the murderer remained untraced. The Kerala Police had earlier termed the case a suicide.
The CBI has been saying that evidence in the case has been destroyed during investigations by the state police.
The case ignited public interest again in April last year after a newspaper reported that Abhaya’s medical reports were tampered with at a chemical laboratory in Thiruvananthapuram.
- 13th CBI team begins Sister Abhaya murder probe - Nov 14, 2008
- Two Kerala priests held for nun's murder 16 years ago - Nov 19, 2008
- Two lab officials to be charged in Kerala's Abhaya case - May 31, 2011
- CBI questions bishop in Abhaya murder case - Nov 24, 2008
- Kerala High Court raps CBI on murder probe - Oct 23, 2008
- Probe role of apex court judge, appeals Sister Abhaya's father - Oct 23, 2009
- Former police official who investigated Abhaya case found dead - Nov 25, 2008
- Two priests, nun held for Sister Abhaya's murder 16 years ago (Lead) - Nov 19, 2008
- Evidence not enough to nail accused in nun's murder: CBI - Aug 19, 2008
- CBI submits report on missing Rajasthan nurse - Nov 11, 2011
- 16 years on, two priests, nun held for Sister Abhaya's murder (Second Lead) - Nov 19, 2008
- Kerala nun's death: CBI officer to appear before court - Aug 05, 2008
- Achuthanandan too wants CBI to probe former colleague's murder - Sep 06, 2012
- Abhaya murder casts shadow on Sunday mass - Nov 23, 2008
- CBI arrests two in Muthoot murder case - Mar 03, 2010