All hopes lost, search for drowned Bangalore boy called offSeptember 18th, 2009 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Sep 18 (IANS) The search operation to find the body of an 18-month-old boy who was washed away in a flooded drain here was called off after three long days Friday, dashing the hopes of his parents, authorities said.
“We’re ending the search operation, as there is little hope left to find the body of the drowned child. We’ve tried our best for three days, and are sorry that we could not trace the boy,” said an official of the Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) or Greater Bangalore City Corporation.
Vijay, son of migrant labourers from Tamil Nadu, slipped into the drain at around 7.30 a.m. Wednesday when he was playing near it. The mishap happened at Royal Residency Layout, near Madivala Lake here, after Bangalore witnessed heavy rains Tuesday night.
A search operation began immediately to find the boy and continued till Friday evening before it was called off.
Around 170 fire personnel and 60 BBMP men searched for the boy for three days. The search operation started right from the point where he fell upto Madivala Lake.
BBMP Commissioner Bharatlal Meena visited the bereaved family Friday.
But Vijay’s parents - Lakshamma and Vardharaju - were distraught.
“I want to see my boy,” screamed Lakshamma.
Vijay is the second boy to die in the last few months after falling in a drain.
The tragedy bears uncanny resemblance to that of six-year-old Abhishek Prakash, who too fell into an open drain May 31. His body has still not been found.
The entire episode has brought to light the callous attitude of Bangalore’s civic authorities in failing to fence the open storm water drains that dot the city.
- Search on for body of drowned Bangalore boy - Sep 17, 2009
- 18-month-old washed away as heavy rains lash Bangalore - Sep 16, 2009
- Bangalore administration urged to involve people - Sep 05, 2012
- 30 Bangalore school kids caught smoking 'hookah' in club - Mar 05, 2012
- Bangalore gets Rs.4,770 crore for better infrastructure - Feb 24, 2011
- Rs.5,500-crore for Bangalore infrastructure in state budget - Mar 22, 2012
- Congress corporator hacked to death in Bangalore - Oct 01, 2011
- Army gives up search for body of drowned Bangalore boy - Jun 12, 2009
- Garbage-free Bangalore by Monday, promise authorities - Sep 02, 2012
- Army to search for Bangalore boy who drowned - Jun 08, 2009
- Bangalore civic body caught in Rs.15 bn scandal - Dec 04, 2011
- Karnataka to fund three rail projects - Jul 06, 2012
- A showpiece city struggles to remain clean (Karnataka Newsletter) - Sep 17, 2012
- BJP struggles as 'garden city' becomes 'garbage city' (Karnataka Newsletter) - Aug 31, 2012
- Wet weekend for Bangalore after Friday night deluge - Apr 23, 2011