All assistance being provided to flood-hit Bihar: home ministryAugust 30th, 2008 - 1:41 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 29 (IANS) The home ministry said Friday that all possible help, including food, medicines and military support was being provided to Bihar which is in the grip of unprecedented floods.“The centre (central government) is providing all possible assistance to Bihar to deal with the flood situation. Four army columns, five helicopters, 118 boats and 624 national disaster response forces have been provided,” the home ministry said in a statement.
The ministry said 125,000 metric tonnes of food grains have been allocated to the state. Besides, 3,732 tents and 100,000 water bottles have been sent since Thursday.
“More tents and boats are being organized by the central government,” the statement added. The health ministry is to supply 20 million halogen tablets for water purification.
The ministry said the National Crisis Management Committee headed by the Cabinet Secretary reviewed the flood situation in Bihar Friday. On the advice of the ministry, relief commissioners of West Bengal, Jharkhand and Orissa instructed their district magistrates along the Bihar border to provide boats.
The floods in Bihar are due to the Kosi river changing its course due to a breach in an embankment upstream in Nepal.
Officially 12 people have died in the floods but the unofficial toll is 57. The floods have affected over two million people in 14 districts. Around 150,000 people have been evacuated so far.
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Thousands flee as Gandak breaches embankments (Lead) - Sep 16, 2010
- Thousands flee as Gandak threatens embankments - Sep 16, 2010
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Gandak recedes in Bihar, but thousands still marooned - Sep 22, 2010
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
- Will there be another Kosi disaster? - Nov 29, 2010
- Fear of floods haunts Bihar - Jul 13, 2010
- Rescue, relief intensified after Bihar river breach - Sep 17, 2010