All 16 Indian sailors aboard hijacked vessel releasedMarch 22nd, 2009 - 5:42 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 22 (IANS) All the 16 Indian sailors aboard a vessel hijacked by Somali pirates Saturday have been released, the Directorate General of Shipping said here Sunday.
All the crew members aboard the MSV Al Rafiquel, which was hijacked off the coast of Somalia around 10.30 a.m. (Indian Standard Time) Saturday, were released around 6.30 p.m., according to a statement released by the directorate.
All the 16 sailors are safe and the vessel is proceeding to Mogadishu, its next port of call, the directorate said.
The vessel, carrying a cargo of wheat, refined oil and other items, was hijacked by the pirates, who beat up the crew and looted them of their personal belongings like mobile phones. The pirates also took away five barrels of petrol and 20 barrels of diesel from the vessel.
Indian maritime authorities alerted the Indian Navy and other forces operating in the Gulf of Aden area about the hijack.
- Somali pirates abduct 97 Indian sailors (Second Lead) - Mar 30, 2010
- Ship with 21 Indian crewmen aboard released - Jan 14, 2012
- Seafarers march against piracy - Apr 28, 2011
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Hostages rescued from Somali pirates say they were threatened, tortured - Mar 16, 2011
- Hijacked British ship with 8 Indians freed - May 14, 2010
- Somali pirates release Bulgarian-flagged chemical product tanker after four months - Sep 09, 2010
- Somali pirates want Indian hostages swapped with jailed colleagues - Apr 16, 2011
- Somali pirates free 8 Indian crew, 7 still held hostage (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Somali pirates release ship with all Indian crew - Apr 16, 2011
- Freed Indian sailors reach Delhi, thank Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Indian government did not contact us: Sailor's family - Jun 24, 2011
- Indonesian troops prepare hostage rescue operation against Somali pirates - Apr 14, 2011
- Indian Navy warship deployed near Somali coast to free sailors - Apr 19, 2011
- India bans its dhows beyond southern Oman, Maldives (Lead) - Mar 30, 2010