Alert women pilots save over 48 lives aboard Air India plane (Lead)June 10th, 2012 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, June 10 (IANS) The presence of mind of two women pilots saved the lives of 48 passengers and the crew aboard a Guwahati-bound Air India plane Sunday after it was noticed that a front wheel of the aircraft missing as it came in to land here.
“During a pre-landing check, the ATC discovered that one of the two front wheels were missing. The pilots were immediately informed and an emergency was declared at Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi International (LGBI) Airport,” a source in the Airports Authority of India (AAI) here told IANS.
The ATR flight from Silchar was being flown by Urmila Yadav and co-pilot Yashu.
They kept the aircraft circling for more than two hours over the airport to burn off the fuel while preparations were being made for an emergency landing, the source said.
“In such a situation, the remaining fuel is always burnt off to lighten the aircraft and prevent a fatal accident while landing.
“It was a good decision to burn the highly inflammable fuel as it sometimes lead to fatal accidents during emergency landings, the source said.
Although panic gripped passengers after they came to know about the snag, the plane landed safely and the passengers and crew were evacuated and were safe, an AAI official said.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi congratulated the pilots over the phone for their courage in landing the and saving precious lives.
The aircraft lost its front wheel during take off, a statement issued from the Chief Minister’s Office here said.
- Alert pilots save 48 passengers aboard Air India plane (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Air India flight develops snag, passengers safe - Jun 10, 2012
- Death at Guwahati airport raises questions on facilities - Jun 16, 2012
- Indigo flight makes emergency landing at Jammu - Jun 13, 2012
- Plane makes emergency landing after bird hit - Aug 20, 2011
- Survivor jumped out of gap in broken aircraft: relative - May 22, 2010
- Russian plane with 116 on board makes emergency landing - Jul 02, 2011
- Air India flight turbulence leaves passengers injured, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- Pilot Manages To Land Safely After Plane Hits A Deer - Oct 20, 2010
- Snag grounds Jetlite flight - May 02, 2012
- Kingfisher flight makes emergency landing at Goa airport - Oct 24, 2011
- 10 injured as plane makes emergency landing in Lahore - Aug 31, 2012
- Emergency landing: India in touch with mission in Pakistan - Jul 09, 2012
- US woman, 80, with no training, lands plane - Apr 03, 2012
- Plane skids off runway at Kochi airport, two injured - Aug 29, 2011
Tags: air india, airports authority of india, airports authority of india aai, assam, atc, chief minister, co pilot, courage, emergency landings, fatal accidents, gopinath, precious lives, presence of mind, snag, tarun, two women, urmila, wheels, women pilots, yadav