Alert in Meghalaya ahead of HNLC ‘Raising Day’August 8th, 2012 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Aug 8 (IANS) Security forces have been put on alert in Meghalaya ahead of the Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council’s (HNLC) “Raising Day” on Aug 14, police said Wednesday.
The tribal Khasi outfit is fighting for a sovereign Hynniewtrep homeland in the eastern part of Meghalaya. It plans to mark its 25th year of its birth.
“We have received inputs about intrusion of HNLC cadres from Bangladesh,” Shillong police chief Mariahom Kharkrang told IANS.
The HNLC runs hit-and-run operations from hideouts in Bangladesh. Meghalaya shares a 443-km border with Bangladesh, part of which is porous, hilly and unfenced and thus prone to infiltration.
“All police stations and outposts have been alerted,” Kharkrang said.
- Meghalaya rebel group asks for boycott of Independence Day - Aug 08, 2010
- Two armed Khasi rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2011
- Talks with HNLC within constitution ambit: Meghalaya minister - Dec 22, 2010
- Top HNLC militant arrested in Meghalaya - May 08, 2010
- Meghalaya heightens security ahead of I-Day - Aug 11, 2010
- Security stepped up in Meghalaya as rebels call shutdown - Aug 14, 2010
- Rebels sneak into Meghalaya to disrupt I-Day celebrations: Minister - Aug 12, 2010
- Two militants arrested from India-Bangladesh border - Apr 10, 2010
- Top militant arrested in Meghalaya (With Image) - Jul 19, 2010
- Determined to end Garo terror outfit: Chidambaram - Feb 19, 2012
- Top rebel of outlawed Khasi militant outfit arrested - Aug 05, 2010
- No hand in student leader's killing in Bangladesh: HNLC - May 13, 2010
- Meghalaya government open to talks with rebel groups - Nov 30, 2010
- No compromise on sovereignty: Lyngdoh - Aug 29, 2012
- Khasi rebel outfit urged to give up armed struggle - May 02, 2010