Alert driver prevents major train accident in KanpurAugust 10th, 2008 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 10 (IANS) Thanks to an alert driver, a major accident was averted in Uttar Pradesh’s Kanpur district when the brake coupling of the Gomti Express train broke down, an official said Sunday. The train, which runs between New Delhi and Lucknow, was moving towards the state capital Saturday when the incident took place around 9.30 p.m. on the outskirts of Kanpur, around 90 km from here.
The train driver, who noticed sparks from the wheels of a coach after a sudden jerk, applied the emergency brakes and stopped the train.
“The brake coupling of a general compartment broke down as soon as the train left the Kanpur station. However, the driver stopped the train by applying the emergency brakes,” K.M. Tripathi, deputy chief manager of railways, Kanpur zone, told IANS.
Besides the general coach, some other sleeper coaches developed problems and the train remained stationary for about two hours, he added.
About 10 coaches were affected and after detaching them the remaining 13 coaches were taken to Lucknow around midnight.
“All the passengers were accommodated in those coaches and no one was injured,” Tripathi said.
Foul play was ruled put and an enquiry has been ordered, he added.
- New Delhi-Howrah Rajdhani engine develops snag, derails - Aug 30, 2010
- Train accident averted in Bengal - Aug 03, 2012
- Minor fire in Shatabdi Express - Mar 29, 2012
- Toll in Uttar Pradesh accident 69, 23 yet to be identified - Jul 11, 2011
- 35 killed as Tamil Nadu Express catches fire (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Indian Railway tableau to showcase its history at R-Day parade (With images) - Jan 25, 2012
- Goods train overshoots signal, probe ordered - Jul 28, 2010
- 35 dead, 150 injured as train derails in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 10, 2011
- Punjab Mail to show Railways' past, present on R-Day - Jan 24, 2012
- Man injured after falling on Metro track - Feb 19, 2012
- 20 injured as Punjab Mail derails near Rohtak (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Rajdhani passengers recall scary experience - Apr 18, 2011
- Alert train driver saves 300 lives in Australia - Aug 01, 2011
- Three Swedes among Uttar Pradesh rail accident victims - Jul 11, 2011
- Train driver, co-driver failed to prevent accident: Official - Jul 19, 2010
Tags: chief manager, coach, emergency brakes, enquiry, express train, foul play, kanpur, lucknow, major accident, New Delhi, outskirts, railways, sleeper coaches, sparks, sudden jerk, train accident, train driver, tripathi, uttar pradesh, wheels