Al-Qaeda suspects arrested in Belgium ahead of EU summitDecember 11th, 2008 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Dec 11 (DPA) Fourteen suspected members of Al Qaeda were arrested in Brussels Thursday, just hours before European Union (EU)heads of state and government were due to meet in the Belgian capital, media reports said.The arrests were the result of 16 early morning raids involving more than 240 policemen in Brussels and Liege.
Police sources said three of the arrested had recently returned from a terrorist training camp in Afghanistan or Pakistan, and that one of them had recently bid his relatives farewell in a video.
Investigators said one of the suspects had just “received the green light to carry out an operation,” possibly in Belgium or elsewhere in Europe, the on-line edition of Le Soir newspaper reported.
But prosecutors also said they could not exclude the possibility that the alleged terrorists had been planning to target the EU summit.
The police operation capped a year-long investigation into suspect Al Qaeda operatives in Belgium.
“Given the fact that the EU summit is taking place at this time in Brussels, obviously we had no choice but to act today,” Belgian federal prosecutor Johan Delmulle was quoted as saying.
- Brussels cops foil bomb plot against UK PM Brown - Dec 12, 2008
- Ten suspected terrorists arrested in Belgium, Netherlands, and Germany - Nov 23, 2010
- Dutch police arrest terrorism suspect who 'planned terror attack' - Jul 29, 2011
- Belgium urges citizens to leave Syria - Jul 22, 2012
- Two dead, 15 wounded in Belgium grenade attack (Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Belgian trade union files complaint against ArcelorMittal - Feb 21, 2012
- Europe's oldest man living in Belgium - Oct 31, 2011
- EU to introduce new sanctions on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- Belgium backs India for NSG, hopeful of India-EU trade pact (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Four dead, 75 hurt in Belgium attack (Second Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Two dead in Belgium grenade attack - Dec 13, 2011
- 9/11-like attack no longer possible: EU official - Sep 06, 2011
- Belgium to host major Indian business meet - Nov 02, 2011
- PM leaves Berlin for India - Dec 12, 2010
- PM returns to India after Europe tour - Dec 12, 2010