Al Qaeda No. 2 leader is dead: White House (Lead)June 6th, 2012 - 10:29 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 6 (IANS) In another “serious blow” to Al Qaeda, a US drone strike in Pakistan killed its No. 2 leader Abu Yahya al-Libi, who helped steer the terrorist group after Osama bin Laden’s death, the White House has confirmed.
Al-Libi’s death was “another serious blow to core Al Qaeda,” White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters Tuesday.
“His death is part of the degradation taking place in core Al Qaeda in the last several years.”
However, Carney was unable to provide further details. Earlier Tuesday, US officials said that al-Libi was killed by a CIA drone strike in Pakistan launched Monday. Al-Libi’s death marks one of the most significant blows to Al Qaeda since the US military killed Osama bin Laden in a daring nighttime raid on his hideout in Abbottabad, near Islamabad on May 2 last year.
Al-Libi was second-in-command behind Al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri, who took the helm after bin Laden’s death.
“There is no one who even comes close in terms of replacing the expertise (Al Qaeda) has just lost,” CNN cited an unnamed US official as saying.
Al-Libi “played a critical role in the group’s planning against the West, providing oversight of the external operations efforts,” the official said adding, “Zawahiri will be hard-pressed to find any one person who can readily step into Abu Yahya’s shoes.”
“In addition to his gravitas as a longstanding member of AQ’s leadership, Abu Yahya’s religious credentials gave him the authority to issue fatwas, operational approvals and guidance to the core group in Pakistan and regional
An Islamic scholar and high-ranking member of the group, al-Libi frequently appeared in Internet videos, CNN said. He gave many videotaped speeches praising Al Qaeda leaders, urging resistance and trying to recruit new members.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Al Qaeda No 2 dead: US - Jun 06, 2012
- Top Al Qaeda strategist killed in Pakistan? - Jun 05, 2012
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video - Jun 09, 2011
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Al Zawahiri next target, but Pakistan may not be told - May 09, 2011
- Badruddin Haqqani killed in drone attack: Report - Aug 25, 2012
- Despite split reports, al-Zawahiri could be new Al Qaeda boss - May 07, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al-Qaeda holding US aid worker hostage in Pakistan - Dec 02, 2011
- Al-Qaeda repeats call to take revenge over Pak neuroscientist's US sentencing - Dec 16, 2010
- No apology for raid to kill Osama: US to Pakistan - May 10, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al Qaeda chief wants '9/11' of his own - Sep 10, 2011
- Osama's death not a big loss for Al Qaeda: Iraqi expert - May 02, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Lead) - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: abu yahya, al libi, arun kumar, ayman al zawahiri, cia drone, cnn, core group, critical role, external operations, gravitas, hideout, islamic scholar, last several years, longstanding member, nighttime raid, osama bin laden, qaeda leader, regional affiliates, terrorist group, white house spokesman