Al Qaeda leaders killed in Yemen air strikeMay 7th, 2012 - 9:42 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a, May 7 (IANS) Two wanted terrorists of the Yemen-based Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) have been killed in a US air strike in a mountainous region in Yemen, a media report said.
Fahd al-Quso al-Awlaki and his nephew Fahed al-Akdam were killed Sunday in the air strike in southeastern Shabwa province, Xinhua reported.
Al-Quso was jailed in Yemen in 2002 for his involvement in attacking US Navy destroyer USS Cole in the country’s Aden port, in which 17 American sailors were killed.
“Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula confirms the killing of its leader Sheikh Fahd al-Quso al-Awlaki in a US air strike on Sunday afternoon in Rafd area in Shabwa,” the terror outfit said in a statement obtained by Xinhua.
A Yemeni security official in Ataq, capital of Shabwa, said the air strike targeted the terrorists’ vehicle.
Abdul-Elah Haidar Shaiee, a Yemeni journalist in jail for links to the AQAP, said that al-Quso had said in an interview that he was assigned by slain Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden to attack the USS Cole.
Al-Quso admitted that he collected information and prepared explosives for a suicide boat that hit the US warship, he said.
Yemeni authorities released al-Quso from prison in 2007, and after two years, he was added to the FBI’s list of most wanted terrorists.
In 2010, the US State Department labelled al-Quso as a specially designated global terrorist. He was also added to the UN 1267 Sanctions Committee’s Consolidated List of Individuals associated with Al Qaeda and the Taliban.
- Al-Qaeda suspect wanted for USS Cole attack is alive in Yemen - Dec 16, 2010
- U.S. State Department designates al-Qaeda operative Othman Al-Ghamdi - Jun 17, 2011
- Newspaper: Al-Qaeda suspect wanted for USS Cole attack is alive in Yemen - Dec 16, 2010
- Drones kill 10 Al Qaeda militants in Yemen - Jun 13, 2012
- Al Qaeda providing free electricity in Yemen - May 03, 2012
- Al-Qaeda leader Al-Awlaki killed: Yemen - Sep 30, 2011
- Al-Awlaki's death major blow to Al Qaeda: Obama - Oct 01, 2011
- After Osama's elimination, FBI updates its most wanted list - May 02, 2011
- Obama not pushing for Yemen president to go because of Al Qaeda threat: Experts - Mar 23, 2011
- Al Qaeda abducts Yemeni intelligence officer - Mar 22, 2012
- Yemeni warplanes bomb Al-Qaeda bases, 18 killed - Mar 19, 2012
- Anwar al-Awlaki plotting attacks on UK - Mar 01, 2011
- Al Qaeda kills six cops in Yemen - May 14, 2011
- US sends drones to hunt for Al Qaeda in Yemen - Nov 07, 2010
- Bomb discovery underscores threat from Yemen, al-Qaeda: US offficial - Oct 30, 2010
Tags: aden port, al qaeda, al qaeda in the arabian peninsula, american sailors, aqap, destroyer uss cole, fahd, fbi, haidar, mountainous region, navy destroyer, osama bin laden, sanctions committee, shabwa, us air, us state department, uss cole, xinhua, yemeni authorities, yemeni security official