Al Qaeda had planned major attacks in Pakistan: CIAApril 27th, 2012 - 2:38 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 27 (IANS) Al Qaeda had planned to carry out major attacks in Pakistan, show documents that US Marine commandos took away from the residence of Osama bin Laden, a media report said Friday.
The CIA, based on documents seized by US Navy SEALs during the raid on Osama bin Laden’s hideout in Abbottabad in May last year, has shared intelligence with Pakistan that suggests Al Qaeda planned to carry out major strikes inside Pakistan, reported Dawn.
Before Osama was gunned down, the Al Qaeda chief along with Ayman Al-Zawahiri, who took over as Al Qaeda chief in June 2011, and other senior leaders had planned to mount indiscriminate attacks on Pakistani soil.
The media report said that US has shared some of the information culled out from the documents with friendly spy services like those with Britain, but it was for the first time that the CIA shared such information with Pakistan.
The US commando raid had considerably strained ties between Washington and Islamabad. The daring operation, which saw commandos fly deep into Pakistan onboard stealth helicopters, was carried out without informing Pakistan’s military. Abbottabad is barely 180 km from capital Islamabad.
- Clinton chose wrong place for Zawahiri claim: Pakistani daily - May 09, 2012
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al Zawahiri next target, but Pakistan may not be told - May 09, 2011
- Al Qaeda No. 2 leader is dead: White House (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Al-Zawahiri not in Pakistan: Gilani - May 13, 2012
- US, Pakistan struck deal on Osama raid in 2001 - May 10, 2011
- Despite split reports, al-Zawahiri could be new Al Qaeda boss - May 07, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al Qaeda chief wants '9/11' of his own - Sep 10, 2011
- Who runs Al Qaeda 'barely matters': US - Jun 17, 2011
- US doubts Al Qaeda leader Zawahiri has fled Pakistan - Sep 15, 2011
- CIA team gets permission to see Osama compound - May 27, 2011
- Not enough evidence to arrest Hafiz Saeed, says Gilani (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Al-Zawahiri, who calls Pakistan a US colony, to head Al Qaeda (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al-Qaeda holding US aid worker hostage in Pakistan - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,