Al Qaeda chief al-Zawahiri is in Pakistan: ClintonMay 7th, 2012 - 12:29 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 7 (IANS) Al Qaeda’s new chief Ayman al-Zawahiri is in Pakistan, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said here Monday.
Egyptian cleric al-Zawahri, took over the organisation after Osama bin Laden’s killing May 2 last year by US Navy SEALs in Pakistan’s Abbottabad town.
Clinton said: “We want to disable Al Qaeda. We believe Zawahiri is in Pakistan.”
Speaking at an interaction that was moderated by the NDTV, she said: “You have to go over those who are trying to kill you. You have to be focused on that.”
Referring to the 2008 Mumbai terror attack in which 166 people, including foreigners, were killed by 10 terrorists from Pakistan, Clinton said that she had authorised an award for Hafiz Saeed who was responsible for attacks in Mumbai.
Hafiz Saeed, founder of the Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group, is accused of masterminding the Mumbai terror attacks. The US last month announced an award of up to $10 million for information leading to arrest and conviction of Saeed and $2 million for Hafiz Adbul Rahman Makki, under the Rewards for Justice programme, for information on the two terrorists.
“It may take longer than we like but we will stand with you and trying to make that happen,” she added.
Clinton is in India on a three-day trip that began Sunday.
- Not enough evidence to arrest Hafiz Saeed, says Gilani (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Pakistan not doing enough on Mumbai attack: Clinton - May 07, 2012
- US wants Hafiz Saeed brought to justice - May 08, 2012
- Insufficient evidence to arrest Hafiz Saeed: Gilani - May 13, 2012
- US envoy denies meeting Hafiz Saeed - May 10, 2012
- Who runs Al Qaeda 'barely matters': US - Jun 17, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri not in Pakistan: Gilani - May 13, 2012
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Hafiz supporters rant against India - Apr 07, 2012
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 16, 2011
- US can contact me whenever they want: Hafiz Saeed - Apr 04, 2012
- Clinton chose wrong place for Zawahiri claim: Pakistani daily - May 09, 2012
- Al Qaeda chief wants '9/11' of his own - Sep 10, 2011
- $10 mn bounty on me for opposing NATO supplies: Hafiz Saeed - Apr 03, 2012
- 'World recognises Pakistan shelters terrorist masterminds' - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: abbottabad, al qaeda, al zawahri, ayman al zawahiri, day trip, egyptian cleric, foreigners, hafiz, hillary clinton, kolkata, lashkar e taiba, makki, militant group, mumbai, ndtv, osama bin laden, saeed, terror attack, us navy seals, us secretary of state