Al Jazeera English now available on Tata Sky tooApril 26th, 2012 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) Aiming to provide “high quality international news” to a wider Indian audience, Gulf-based Al Jazeera Network Thursday announced that its English network will also be shown across the country through Tata Sky.
The network, which is available in more than 130 countries to more than 260 million households worldwide, is already reaching out to Indian audiences through Dish TV and cable.
“We are already reaching 25 million households across India. India is a huge market. We come from Middle East but we give a global picture. We are also focussing on Africa and Latin America, which is not covered by others that much,” Diana Hosker, head of distribution at Al Jazeera, said.
“We know there are many news channels, but we are confident that we can give the audience a different voice. The audience wants high quality international news, which gives the global picture and not just focused on a particular country or region. Our coverage of the Arab spring caught the attention of the viewers,” she added.
The network, which got its broadcasting licence to operate in India in 2010, will not only be broadcasting its international feed, but also showcase India specific news stories of global relevance and interest. They will also showcase documentaries focusing on India-specific subjects.
About their tie-up with Tata Sky, Hosker said, through them they will be able to reach more households.
According to Nicola Bamford, chief content and business development officer at Tata Sky, despite so many news channels in India, audiences are always looking for international news that is truly global.
Tata Sky has nine million connections in India, according to Mukund Sharma, associate vice president (Content).
- Al Jazeera English to be launched in India - Dec 08, 2010
- Tata Communications breaks into Nigerian market - Jul 27, 2012
- Al Jazeera, France 24 upbeat on Indian market - Dec 08, 2010
- UKs Independent daily enters into online partnership with Al Jazeera - Jan 16, 2009
- Now comes Thrill channel, thanks to BIG RTL - Apr 30, 2012
- Hillary Clinton praises Al-Jazeera as "real news" - Apr 18, 2011
- Krishna expresses shock over attack on Egyptian journalists - Feb 04, 2011
- Al Jazeera gets entry into Canada - Nov 27, 2009
- Tata Sky gearing up to meet demand post-digitisation - Feb 15, 2012
- The next BIG thing in Indian Television - Aug 19, 2010
- Reliance Broadcast signs pact with European firm for TV channels - May 30, 2011
- Egypt shuts down Al Jazeera bureau in Cairo - Jan 30, 2011
- Eight Indian exhibitors to participate in BroadcastAsia2011 - May 03, 2011
- Mid-East crisis: Clinton backs Al-Jazeera, criticizes US media in Senate - Mar 05, 2011
- Google develops plug-and-play subscription service - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: al jazeera, al jazeera english, associate vice president, business development officer, chief content, diana, dish tv, documentaries, global relevance, households, huge market, india india, indian audience, indian audiences, international news, latin america, New Delhi, news channels, news stories, tata sky