Akkriti’s parents await autopsy report, school closed for two days (Lead)April 24th, 2009 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 24 (IANS) Four days after class 12 student Akkriti Bhatia of capital’s reputed Modern School in Vasant Vihar died following a reported asthma attack during school time, the parents of the victim await the postmortem report while the school has been shut for two days.
“The report is expected anytime. The report will not reveal anything new but we just have to find whether Akkriti died because of lack of oxygen or not. It will make our case stronger against the school authorities,” Akkriti’s maternal uncle Raman Verma told IANS.
Anguished parents and screaming students Thursday took on the school authorities blaming them for the death of 17-year-old Akkriti Monday and demanding principal Goldy Malhotra’s resignation. Akkriti’s parents have alleged that the school failed to give timely medical help to her.
The school Friday put a notice on the gate that said “the school will remain shut for two days” without specifying any reason.
Carrying on the protest, a candle light march is being organised from Akkriti’s 29, Siri Fort Road residence at 5 p.m. Friday and several students and their parents are expected to participate.
According to Verma, Women and Child Development Minister Renuka Chowdhury will meet the family Friday evening.
“Renuka Chowdhury will meet Akkriti’s parents at their house after the march,” said Verma.
Shiv Chugh, a close friend of Akkriti, said: “Don’t just sit, come out and get justice for Akkriti. Wear a black T-shirt or anything black and do not forget to carry a candle and come in large numbers to participate in the march.”
Bani Bhatia, Akkriti’s mother, said: “No action has been taken by the school authorities. I will not back out, I will keep fighting till I get justice for my daughter. I have lost my daughter, I am not fighting for her life but only for justice for her death.”
“I am fighting for lives of other children, so that tomorrow they don’t face such a situation. I can see my daughter’s face in every young boy and girl,” Bani added.
- Akkriti's parents await autopsy report, school shut for two days - Apr 24, 2009
- Akkriti's autopsy report hints at asphyxiation; candlelight march held (Second Lead) - Apr 24, 2009
- Students hold candlelight march for Akkriti - Apr 24, 2009
- Akkriti's family cheers principal's resignation, teacher denies report - Apr 24, 2009
- Akkriti's parents, friends continue protest outside school - Apr 29, 2009
- Modern School reopens, names Akkriti death probe panel (Lead) - Apr 27, 2009
- Akkriti's autopsy report hints she died of asphyxiation - Apr 24, 2009
- Modern School reopens amid protests by students - Apr 27, 2009
- Students on Facebook: Aakriti must get justice - Apr 23, 2009
- Candlelight march held against Modern School over girl's death (Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- Anguished parents, students demand justice for Aakriti (Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Is Kate married to Matt? - Mar 17, 2012
- Delhi government panel begins inquiry into Akkriti's death - Apr 25, 2009
- Board exams: Lengthy english question paper puzzles students (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Principal suspended for molesting girl students - Mar 05, 2011