Akkriti’s family cheers principal’s resignation, teacher denies reportApril 24th, 2009 - 10:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 24 (IANS) The family of Akkriti Bhatia, the Class 12 student who died of an asthma attack in the elite Modern School in Vasant Vihar here, Friday momentarily cheered at the news that the school principal had resigned. But principal Goldy Malhotra soon clarified that she had not stepped down.
It all started when one of Akkriti’s relatives came out from their house on Siri Fort Road and told waiting mediapersons: “The principal has resigned.”
Family members and Akkriti’s schoolmates were seen hugging each other and raising slogans against the school.
Bina Bhatia, Akkriti’s mother, also came out and hugged her daughter’s classmates and shouted “Hip Hip Hurray”. But her husband Vipin Bhatia said they did not have any confirmation about the news. It turned out to be a false alarm as Malhotra herself denied the reports.
“I haven’t resigned and why should I resign?” she told reporters.
A.P. Singh, trustee of the Modern School, also told IANS: “She (Malhotra) hasn’t resigned and continues to be principal of the school.”
Women and Child Development Minister Renuka Chowdhury, who spent nearly an hour at Akkriti’s house, assured the grieving family that necessary action would be taken in the case.
Akkriti had suffered an asthma attack in her school Monday and died while she was being taken to hospital. Her parents have filed a complaint against the school authorities, blaming the school principal for delaying medical help to the girl.
- Students hold candlelight march for Akkriti - Apr 24, 2009
- Akkriti's autopsy report hints at asphyxiation; candlelight march held (Second Lead) - Apr 24, 2009
- Akkriti's parents await autopsy report, school shut for two days - Apr 24, 2009
- Akkriti's parents await autopsy report, school closed for two days (Lead) - Apr 24, 2009
- Akkriti's parents, friends continue protest outside school - Apr 29, 2009
- Modern School reopens amid protests by students - Apr 27, 2009
- Akkriti's autopsy report hints she died of asphyxiation - Apr 24, 2009
- Delhi government panel begins inquiry into Akkriti's death - Apr 25, 2009
- Modern School reopens, names Akkriti death probe panel (Lead) - Apr 27, 2009
- Anguished parents, students demand justice for Aakriti (Lead) - Apr 23, 2009
- Candlelight march held against Modern School over girl's death (Lead) - Apr 22, 2009
- Health checks in schools should be compulsory: Renuka Chowdhury - Apr 22, 2009
- Criminal case recommended against school for child's death - Apr 30, 2009
- Parents, students protest Aakriti's death, want principal to resign - Apr 23, 2009
- Students on Facebook: Aakriti must get justice - Apr 23, 2009