Akbar Khan to play Saddam Hussein, says it’s challenging (With Images)April 28th, 2011 - 3:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 28 (IANS) Actor-filmmaker Akbar Khan will return to the big screen essaying the role of late Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein in an upcoming docu-drama “From President to Prisoner”. He says he is looking forward to the project, based on Aziz Burney’s book “Safar Zindagi Ka”.
Khan, who was last seen as Chandan Roy Sanyal’s disciplinarian dad in “F.A.L.T.U.”, is quite upbeat about the challenge of playing Saddam Hussein.
“It’s a very challenging role. The world opinion on Saddam Hussein is divided into two parts. For half the world, he was a hero and for the other half, he was a villain. I am looking forward to playing this role,” said the youngest brother of Sanjay Khan and late Feroze Khan.
He debuted as an actor with “Anjaan Raahen” in 1974 and featured in films like “Haadsaa”, which was also his directorial debut, and “Akarshan”. He also produced and directed “Taj Mahal: An Eternal Love Story” in 2005.
“From President to Prisoner” will be produced and directed by Suresh Kohli, who felt Khan is the perfect choice for the role due to his physical resemblance with Hussein.
“When the idea came up to make a film on Saddam Hussein, I kept Akbar Khan’s photo next to Saddam’s and everyone agreed and said that he would be the best person for this role. Akbar agreed too. Now we are working the logistics to start and launch this film,” Kohli said in a press statement.
The movie will go on floors in September 2011 and will be shot in Iraq.
- Remo all set for next directorial venture - Aug 12, 2009
- Vivek Agnihotri's next a political thriller (Movie snippets) - Feb 20, 2011
- Salman in Hema Malini's 'Tell Me O Khuda' - Jul 27, 2011
- F.A.L.T.U: A pleasant surprise (IANS film review) - Apr 03, 2011
- Chandan Roy Sanyal Likely To Do 'Midnight's Children' - Nov 10, 2010
- Kaminey's Mikhail to star in Hema Malini's production - Oct 21, 2009
- Who's likely to head to Cannes from B-Town? - Apr 07, 2012
- Akshay says no to Vashu Bhagnani’s Faltu - Oct 07, 2010
- 'Toofan' - nothing extraordinary about it (Kannada Movie Review) - Apr 21, 2012
- Holy See condemns Tariq Aziz death sentence - Oct 28, 2010
- Need to bridge gap between India and west: Scriptwriter - Jun 16, 2011
- Remo D'Souza wants Madhuri for next! - Apr 05, 2012
- Dozakh to debut at Lakme Fashion Week - Feb 24, 2012
- Pattinson to star in Saddam Hussein movie - May 04, 2012
- Ex-Saddam aide, Iraq Foreign Minister Aziz sentenced to death - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: akbar khan, burney, dictator saddam hussein, directorial debut, disciplinarian, docu drama, half the world, iraqi dictator saddam hussein, kohli, logistics, love story, New Delhi, perfect choice, physical resemblance, saddam hussein, safar, sanjay khan, taj mahal, villain, zindagi