Akash missile to be inducted to counter ChinaMarch 1st, 2012 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 1 (IANS) India will achieve a major milestone in the development of indigenous military technology when Defence Minister A.K. Antony hands over the first batch of Akash surface-to-air missiles to the Indian Air Force in Hyderabad Saturday, ahead of its deployment in the northeast against possible Chinese threats.
Antony will also hand over TAL, an advanced indigenously developed lightweight torpedo, to the Indian Navy.
“The defence minister will hand over Akash and TAL to the air force and the navy on Saturday in Hyderabad,” a defence ministry official said here Thursday.
The two weapon systems that will greatly enhance the air force and navy’s strike capabilities, have been indigenously and manufactured by the Hyderabad-based Bharat Dynamics Limited, a defence public sector undertaking.
Akash and TAL were developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
India plans to deploy two squadrons of the Akash missile in the northeastern region as a counter to threats from China.
- India to induct Akash missiles, holds war game in northeast (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- India test-fires medium range Akash missile - May 24, 2012
- IAF orders another 750 Akash SAMs - Feb 02, 2010
- Prahlada to now head defence institute - Aug 11, 2011
- Navy to get second indigenous stealth frigate - Jul 27, 2011
- Defence panel approves LCA for Indian Navy - Feb 27, 2012
- Indian Air Force twice successfully test fires Akash missile - Jun 01, 2012
- Antony witnesses Indian Navy's battle readiness exercise - Feb 08, 2012
- India launches second home-built stealth warship (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- India test fires Akash missile twice - May 28, 2012
- 'India on par with others in electronic warfare' - May 02, 2012
- Akash missile test-fired second time in three days - May 26, 2012
- Experts hail Agni-V, want it operational soon - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Nurture talent, ensure fairness': Antony to DRDO top brass - Mar 25, 2011
- IAF flies homegrown Tejas fighter jet for operational clearance - Jan 10, 2011
Tags: akash missile, antony, chinese threats, defence minister, defence ministry, defence research, development organisation, drdo india, dynamics limited, hyderabad, indian air force, indian navy, military technology, ministry official, northeastern region, public sector undertaking, surface to air, surface to air missiles, torpedo, weapon systems